E2M4: The Evil Base (The Classic Episode)
|The Classic Episode maps|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
Head straight through the door and go past two gargoyle decorations. Go left and turn around. Open the door. Enter the computer room and kill the disturbing monsters. Leave this room and re-enter. Doing this will raise up the platform in the middle of the room. Go around this platform and press the button. Backtrack through the door and notice an alcove tunnel leading north. To the right, you can see the red door. Turn left and advance to the grey brick room. Walk on the nukage and into an alcove. In another brick room, open the eastern door. Inside, open another one. Have the red keycard.
Now, backtrack to the red door (the fastest way is to drop down into the nukage pool and take the radiation suit for safety and walk upstairs, then return into the alcove). Open the red door. Get to the other end of the outside area. When you find yourself in the cargo room enter the eastern fork room. Take the southern way, turn right and in the dead end press the button. Backtrack into cargo room and take the northern open way. Take an alcove at very north and press the switch. Grab the blue card on the freshly lowered stand.
Backtrack into cargo room and then into the outside area. Take the exit door north. Eliminate the shotgun guys inside and flip the switch.
Other points of interest
- When you walk past the gargoyle panel near the starting area, notice the computer pillar in the very north. Walk around this and press use on it. This will raise a step nearby which helps you to get inside an UAC panel (eastern one). Come closer to it to open. Inside, you can find two rockets. (sector 28)
- Jump down into the western nukage pool and take the northern closet with spilling notch. Press use on the eastern wall to find soulsphere. (sector 143) This secret can be also revealed when you step on grey crate from the left (western) side. The crate is located at the top where there is red key.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV speed||01:13||Adam Williamson||2001-04-04||cl24-113.zip|
|UV max||05:52||Chris Ratcliff (Ryback)||2002-04-27||cl24-552.zip|
|UV -fast||08:21||Chris Ratcliff (Ryback)||2001-06-25||cf24-821.zip|
|UV Tyson||10:47||Radek Pecka||2002-11-27||ct241047.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 4, 2020.
Inspiration and development
The level was originally released as a standalone WAD titled Doom Classic 1: The Evil Base. It was uploaded by Jan to the idgames archive in July 1998, three years before the full episode was completed.
The Classic Episode's updated version makes changes:
- The blue skull key is replaced by a blue keycard
- Imps will teleport on top of the blue keycard more quickly
- A new secret is marked with 2 rockets added inside
- Two lost souls are removed in the northeast tunnels