E2M5: Deep Storage (No End In Sight)
|No End In Sight maps|
|1994 Ways To Die|
The Depths of Doom
|Blood Stained Earth|
This level contains a secret exit to E2M9: Castle of Illusion.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
Head due south through a storage area with lots of crates (you will pass a shotgun on the way) until you reach an area with a partial invisibility and an invulnerability, then turn left and head into a metal tunnel next to a sealed door. Follow the tunnel to a T-junction and turn left, then head across a room with a fleshy floor to an outdoor area with water. Turn right and right again to pass through a chamber with two tech columns, then turn left to drop down to a brightly-lit switch under a purple sign - flipping the switch will restore power to the storage area, allowing you to open the doors there.
Dispose of the lost souls that have been revealed either side of the switch then backtrack to the area with the partial invisibility and invulnerability, ready to kill a number of monsters that teleported into that area earlier. Press the switch next to the sealed door to open it, step through and follow a hallway until it curves to the right, then go through a low doorway which leads to a stone staircase. Follow the staircase to the bottom to reach a gray room guarded by a baron of Hell then head south into another passage leading to a circular room with a central tower surrounded by nukage. There are four more passages leading away from this room, but go into the north-western passage first to find a radiation shielding suit; it may be useful for navigating this area.
Return to the tower room and follow the nukage north-east to a chamber with a central gray column, then head east down another passage to a marble room containing zombiemen and imps who are guarding the yellow keycard. Take the key (the nearby column will lower to reveal a baron) then return to the tower room and go through the south-east doorway this time, turning right at the T-junction ahead and following the nukage to a room with some zombies. Press the switch in the north-east corner to open three walls on the east, north and west sides - the exit door can be found behind the west wall. Kill the cacodemon (and baron on Hurt Me Plenty skill level or higher) then open the exit door they were guarding and press the switch behind it to finish the level and move on to E2M6: Poison Control.
Pressing the switch that reveals the normal exit door will also open another wall next to the switch - behind it is a passage leading to another exit door that requires the red skull key from secret #5. Behind this door is a switch that leads to E2M9: Castle of Illusion.
Other points of interest
After flipping the switch under the purple sign, return to the area with the partial invisibility and invulnerability and head west up two platforms that are moving up and down. Collect the armor at the top then go west to a room with blue pads, which you can cross to find a supercharge. Use caution in this area - the blue pads are a damaging floor, and a number of shotgun guys will be released when you take the supercharge.
After flipping the switch under the purple sign, you will be able to open a door on the west side of the larger storage area to enter a computer room. West of this room is a chamber with health, weapons and ammo.
- At the outdoor area where you can see a berserk pack and ammo on three platforms, enter the room to the north-west and press on the metal wall in the north-west corner. This opens a passage, and at the end of this passage, a switch here lowers the three pillars allowing you to pick up the supplies. (sector 147)
- After restoring power to the storage area, go to the large crate room near the start point and head west to enter a room that has a chainsaw and light amplification visor on a ledge. Press the switch on this wall to lower the ledge and obtain both items. (sector 28)
- After restoring power to the storage area, go into the computer room at the west side of the storage area and enter the northern room. This room has a plasma gun and nine switches. To reach the plasma gun, first press the northwestern-most switch, which will raise the lift at the eastern end. Then, in the south-east corner of the room, looking at the three switches to the south, press on the switch to the right (the one with the green rectangle and three red bars). This lowers the left ledge that was already up. Then press the button switch with vines around it to raise it up again. Now look at the eastern wall and press the green button switch twice to raise the middle ledge twice. Then, press the red button switch to lower the eastern lift. If you have done all of this correctly, you should be able to ride the lift up and go west to retrieve the plasma gun. (sector 329)
- While heading to the nukage area on the east side of the level you may have seen a door close on a blue keycard through a window. Pressing the switch that reveals the normal and secret exits will also open part of the north wall, leading to a room with two stimpacks and four armor bonuses next to a candelabra. Go into this room and open the south wall to obtain the blue key. (sector 254)
- With the blue key, enter the tower in the central nukage area and when you reach the top, the nukage around the tower lowers, becoming much more damaging blood. Go north from the tower, and you will eventually wind up at a dead-end area with some supplies, plus a baron and an eye switch on a ledge. The eye switch is shootable, but you need to lure the baron over there and shoot it so that you will hit the eye switch as well. When that happens, the metal wall nearby opens. A cacodemon (two on Ultra-Violence and Nightmare skill levels) guards the red key, which is needed to access the secret exit. (sector 317)
- After climbing the tower behind the blue key door and changing the nukage around it to blood, go south-east from the tower, then west until you spot a new opening going south-east. Inside this red room are some health bonuses and a supercharge. (sector 325)
- Near the yellow door where the normal exit is, press on the northern wall to reveal a lift. Take it up to get two medikits, a box of rockets, and a computer area map, and a switch on the wall provides a convenient way out. (sector 272)
It is possible to become soft-locked and unable to exit the level. Acquire the blue key then backtrack through the nukage tunnel to reach the center tower, open the locked door and climb the stairs to the top; this will lower the surrounding nukage and change it to blood. If you did not press the button by the normal exit door first, which opens a doorway leading to the exit area, then you will be unable to return to that area and so cannot reach either of the exits.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed (normal exit)|
|UV speed (secret exit)|
|NM speed (normal exit)|
|NM speed (secret exit)|
|UV pacifist (normal exit)|
|UV pacifist (secret exit)|
The data was last verified in its entirety on December 21, 2021.