E2M5: Deimos Command (Doom the Way id Did)
|Doom the Way id Did maps|
|Knee-Deep in the Dead|
E2M5: Deimos Command is the fifth map of The Shores of Hell in Doom the Way id Did. It was designed by Mike Alfredson (Use3D) in the style of Sandy Petersen. The par time defined in the DEHACKED lump is 2:45.
This level contains a secret exit leading to E2M9: Nebulous Origins.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Take the door on your left first. Follow the hall to a room. The doors will close behind you and trap you with monsters, but the switch will open both doors up for you. Now take the southern door and continue down the hallway ignoring the key for now until the next room. A door will open to the north revealing a baron of Hell and a megaarmor. To the south is a switch. This modifies the ground around the yellow key, so you can now reach it. When you grab it, instead of heading back to the starting point, go back to the room and there should be a nearby yellow door here. Enter this one and follow the walkway as the stairs climb up. There are two doors at the top. Do not enter the left one before entering the right. If you do, the right door will close forever and you will not access the secret exit should you be going for it. Take the right door and grab the secret. When you are done, head through the left door and take the next nearby door. In this room, take a left, and take the door here. Approaching the metal wall in this small room reveals zombies and a switch. Press it to open the central cage in the other room. Inside is the blue key. Enter the teleporter on the left to acquire it.
Now enter the northern blue door into a long hallway. Going west a bit opens an area behind you with several asides, including a rocket launcher and a secret. If you want the secret exit, make sure to find this secret. When done, use the staircase in the big hallway to enter the cargo bay area. You will be on the ledge, so from here journey westward until you find another set of stairs. Through these stairs you will find a similar hallway to the other one you crossed. On the far end of this hallway is a hidden door with a teleporter taking you to the third secret, again necessary if you want the secret exit. Otherwise, you will have to traverse the nukage here. There is a radiation suit in the room to the south, so pick it up before going. There is a fork in the nukage. If you got all three secrets and are willing to head to the secret level, take the right path and the secret exit should be open. Otherwise take the left path to the normal exit, wading through obstacles. Watch out for enemies behind vines as you make your way to the exit.
Other points of interest
You can take the teleporter at the far end of the northern hallway (if it is open) for an aside which eventually gives you a plasma gun. Be careful of the nukage and barrels as you go through here if you want it.
This map has a total of four secret areas. The secret exit to E2M9 is also one of these four secrets but access to it isn't available until all the other three secrets have been found beforehand AND a certain region/linedef inside these secret areas has been crossed. One of these three secrets (the one with the Berserk and nearby the raising stairs) will become completely inaccessible if not found before entering a nearby door (in which case the only solution to find it would be to restart the map). After all three conditions are met, the secret exit to E2M9 becomes automatically accessible near the non-secret exit.
- Once you get the yellow key, open the yellow door that is to the east of where the yellow key was. Head into this area to raise some stairs to the top. There will be two doors here, and the right one should be open. Go through here and down the steps to a room with various supplies across the nukage, as well as a berserk pack in one of the columns. (sector 238)
- In the big hallway north of the area with the blue key, head towards the door that is straight across from the blue door to open it. Traverse the maze here going left as much as you can, until you reach a door which takes you back to the big hallway. Close to this door, the west wall has a switch that is covered in vines. Press it to open a compartment containing stimpacks and ammo. (sector 220)
- In the big hallway to the south that is identical to the other hallway that was mentioned earlier, head for the western end of the hallway, close to the nukage. Open the wall that has skulls on it to reveal a teleporter. You will appear in a room with medikits and ammo, and grabbing the items also causes the door to open into the other big hallway. (sector 201)
- If you triggered all three of the previous secret sectors, head back into the southern big hallway and head into the nukage. Take a right and the way to the secret exit should be clear. The sector with the secret exit switch counts as a secret. (sector 247)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed (normal exit)|
|UV speed (secret exit)|
|NM speed (normal exit)||2:59.31||Andy Stewart (eschdoom)||2013-05-22||i2dxnm.zip|
|NM speed (secret exit)|
|UV max||7:20.29||Casey Alvis (Altima Mantoid)||2012-07-15||dtwid-lmps.zip|
|UV pacifist (normal exit)|
|UV pacifist (secret exit)|
|NoMo (normal exit)||1:02.63||2020-10-30||e2m5o10263.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.
This level contains eight spawn points:
- facing north-east. (thing 483)
- facing south. (thing 484)
- facing north. (thing 485)
- facing north-west. (thing 486)
- facing south-east. (thing 515)
- facing south. (thing 516)
- facing north-east. (thing 517)
- facing north. (thing 518)