E2M6: Foundry (Doom the Way id Did)
|Doom the Way id Did maps|
|Knee-Deep in the Dead|
E2M6: Foundry is the sixth map of The Shores of Hell in Doom the Way id Did. It was designed by Gus Knezevich (Alfonzo) in the style of Sandy Petersen. The par time defined in the DEHACKED lump is 1:30.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
From the start point (A), follow the path that leads around the structure to your right and descend the stairs. Continue to follow the path west and then south past the yellow key door (H) until you arrive at a teleporter (B). After stepping through the teleporter, immediately turn left and follow the winding passage eastward, dispatching the demons using the barrels provided.
Exiting the passage, open the door opposite and descend the stairs, taking heed of the cacodemon (|I'm too young to die and Hey, not too rough) or baron in the center of the next room (D). Hit the switch hidden in the northeast corner, and then quickly rush across the lift that has temporarily lowered (E) and walk through the door at the far east of the passage.
Now grab the blue skull key that sits inside the damaging pool of blood before you (F). Behind you and in the southwest of the room a door has opened. Enter through this door but do not fire upon the demons present, as they will be teleported away once they move forward. Ascend the flight of steps leading west and walk through the door to your right. Follow the familiar passage west and then south through the blue key door before its end.
Outside, wade through the water to the east (you can see the exit door through the metal bars to your right) and then drop down into a cobble-floored room (G). Dispatch the single baron and the impish lot that greet you, then pass under the southern crusher and left, ascending the small set of stairs around to a wooden door. Opening this door, eliminate the many zombies then hit the switch (H) in the area's northwest to raise a staircase underneath you. Follow the pathway up and through to the exit door.
Other points of interest
Both the shotgun and a other provisions can be obtained by continuing south from the start point (A). Looking west from atop lift (E), a dormant baron (Hurt me plenty and higher) or cacodemon can be seen along with two imps in room (D), as well as the rocket launcher beyond the lava pit.
The southwest region of the map is entirely optional to the player, but offers much in the way of reward and exploration. Facing south from lift (C), walk around either side of the pit in front of you and step across the moving platforms. Continue until you reach the final platform, and wait until it rises before hopping into the passage. In the room to the south of this point are a number of radsuits, depending on the difficulty. Head east down the stairs from the intersection and into the lava, then immediately north into room (K), where a couple of medikits, shells, and clips await your collection. If you possess the blue key, you can head through the door on the north side to collect yet more provisions and an armor on HMP or lower.
On the south side of the same room is another blue key door set against a structure. Opening it will reveal a switch that, when flipped, activates a hidden crusher behind the wall that detonates an arrangement of barrels. The three demons that previously teleported away from the player are present in this hidden room, allowing the player to achieve 100% kills.
An additional western portion of the map can be reached by using the south facing side of lift (C). The maze that is discovered beyond the immediate "furnace" room features some rockets, shells and a teleporter (L) that will take the player back to the top of the lift.
The yellow key door (H) hides a glowing room with a layout symmetrical to the area seen at the start of the map. In addition to the plasma gun (Ultra-Violence and Nightmare!) or energy cell pack (HMP and lower) present at the room's center, the lost souls mentioned previously can be safely eliminated from behind a cage situated in the room's southwest. On HMP and lower difficulties, the plasma gun can be obtained by branching north underneath the crusher after dropping down into room (G). The rocket launcher can be obtained in room (D) by running underneath either one of the crushers flanking the lava pit.
- From the southeast of room (K), face the crusher there. With some very careful timing (and preferably lots of health and a radsuit), launch yourself at full pace underneath the crusher and toward the back wall. A teleporter will open up as you pass beneath, taking you to a secluded area (sector 1) with a number of barons (three on UV and NM! or two on HMP and lower), an invulnerability (positioned conveniently for the player on ITYTD and HNTR), two rocket boxes, some shells, and the yellow key card.
- Facing east from lift (C), follow in through the passageway, turning left at the first opportunity, and travel to the far north of the room. On the east wall of this alcove is a switch. Flip it, then head towards room (D). Lower lift (E) by hitting the switch in the northeast of the room and ride it to the top, then continue north and west past the level's start point. A passage has opened up along the staircase (sector 110) leading back toward the teleporter (B). Enter it to discover some rockets, cells, a megaarmor, and three lost souls.
- Having collected the yellow keycard (see secret #1) and accomplished secret #2, enter through the yellow key door (H) and collect the Plasma gun or cell pack if you haven't already. Activate the switch (I) in the alcove to the north of the room and then hurry back toward the lift that has lowered immediately past the yellow key door and to the right. Drop down into the passage (sector 200) to discover a supercharge at its end.
- From the center of room (K), face the western wall. You will notice that one section of the ceiling in the alcove there is slightly raised. Pass under this raised segment to drop into a bloodied (and damaging) passage, then follow it until it opens up into a room containing several imps, some health, a box of rockets upon a non-damaging platform (sector 217), and a radsuit.
- The teleporter (L) featured at the end of the dark maze to the very west of the map (accessed via the north exit of lift (C)) can be stepped through from two sides. Stepping through the teleporter from the east will take the player to a circular room (sector 55) containing 8 shotgun shells and two energy cells.
- Branching off from secret #3 is an additional passage that features a teleporter (J). Step through the teleporter to uncover a backpack, an energy cell pack, several health bonuses and (providing it has not yet been eliminated) a baron.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for this map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
|NM speed||01:17||Andy Stewart (eschdoom)||2013-05-24||i2dxnm.zip|
Last updated on June 19, 2013.
Last updated on June 19, 2013.
Last updated on June 19, 2013.
This level contains eight spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 27)
- facing north. (thing 282)
- facing south. (thing 425)
- facing south. (thing 426)
- facing north. (thing 427)
- facing east. (thing 428)
- facing north. (thing 429)
- facing south. (thing 430)
Inspiration and development
- The map was named "Metalworks" prior to its inclusion.
- The lone secret area in the far east (see secret #1) of the map is an area copied over from a previous map by the same author entitled "Ecology Control," not included in the final release.