E2M7: Spawning Vats (Doom)
|Ultimate Doom maps|
|Knee-Deep in the Dead|
|Thy Flesh Consumed|
E2M7: Spawning Vats is the seventh map of The Shores of Hell in Doom. It was designed by Tom Hall and Sandy Petersen and it uses the music track "Waltz of the Demons." The par time is 4:00. As the last of the levels representing man-made complexes, Spawning Vats is in effect an amalgamation of all previous bases, including a container warehouse and a computer complex.
At least on ultra-violence and easier, if you warp in and start with the fist and pistol, avoid fighting the demons in that room where you start out. Instead, dodge them and run to the right (west) corridor, which will bring you to the room with the blue key door. There, you can dispatch a sergeant to get his shotgun, pickup a box of shotgun shells, and then take down the two demons easily. Do not continue past the blue key door room yet, as you do not have the ammo to deal with the tougher monsters yet.
Beware of the door that closes behind you when you enter the descending stairs to the crate room (warehouse). Before you step on the stairs, use a couple fist punches to alert some demons, which you can dispatch before getting trapped. Getting the berserk will allow you the dispatch the rest of the demons easily. Save the invulnerability for taking on the baron and cacodemons outside, where you can save ammo by using the berserk fist.
Be careful when you go through the yellow key door, as there are a large number of imps behind it and they will have been alerted to your presence, since that area is connected to the outside where you fought the baron and cacodemons. Also avoid the middle trench of the hallways which are illuminated by blue lights, since these will reduce your health.
- In the hall connecting the warehouse and the outdoor area in the east, climb the small staircase leading to a small control room. Follow another set of stairs down to a switch. Flip it to open a secret room behind you. (sector 250)
- In the corridor lined with hemi-cylindrical "vats" in the west, there's a narrow opening between two of the vats on the west wall that leads outside. (sector 284)
- At the north end of secret 2 is a switch on the wall. Flip it to open another secret area. (sector 301)
- In the room in the southwest with several small slime pools in alcoves. In one of these alcoves is a small tunnel leading to a rocket launcher and a teleporter. (sector 44)
- After getting the red keycard, go through the teleporter in secret 4. Open the red door and flip the switch behind it. (sector 72)
- After flipping the switch in secret 5, as well as the switch behind the blue door, go all the way back to the starting room. A nook holding a soul sphere and a bulk cell will be accessible. (sector 294)
In this level it is possible to trigger an example of the Tutti-frutti effect. Upon entering the crate room, a door closes behind the player. The door consists of two sectors. By blocking the second sector, it is possible for one sector to be closed while the other remains open. A short texture which does not vertically tile is used for the linedef between the sectors: as a result, the tutti-frutti effect appears.
In the southeast courtyard with the two small nukage pools, two corpses hang from the ceiling despite it being open sky.
Linedef 1286 (just in front of the south side of the yellow door), lacks a lower texture causing a small HOM effect.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-N records for the map are:
|UV speed||00:15||Drew DeVore (stx-Vile)||2005-04-22||e2m7-015.zip|
|NM speed||00:17||Drew DeVore (stx-Vile)||2005-04-21||n2m7-017.zip|
|UV max||03:44||Radek Pecka||2002-09-27||e2m7-344.zip|
|UV -fast||04:12||Radek Pecka||2002-03-24||f2m7-412.zip|
|UV -respawn||03:36||Radek Pecka||2000-11-14||r2m7-336.zip|
|UV Tyson||03:51||Radek Pecka||2004-01-30||t2m7-351.zip|
|UV pacifist||00:19||Jonathan Rimmer||2001-11-10||p2m7-019.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on November 17, 2012.
Inspiration and development
- Spawning Vats is the final level for the 32X version of Doom.
- Spawning Vats contains one of the rare instances in official Doom levels of a non-animated damaging floor, a row of blue lights in a trench.
- Spawning Vats was originally designed to be a hangar, as the alpha versions of the map are based on the "Hangar 2" area in the Doom Bible.
- The PlayStation and Sega Saturn version of Spawning Vats contains a secret exit to E2M9: Fortress of Mystery .