E2M9: Praevus Smeltery (HUMP mini)
|HUMP mini maps|
|The Coast of Praevus|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
As soon as the level starts, turn round to see a Quartz Flask behind you; next to it is a staircase with an Ethereal Crossbow leading down to a dark passage. Follow the passage round to a brightly-lit junction and take the north-east path to find a golem guarding a switch that will lower a lift; ride this lift up and run across the gap in front of you then follow the yellow path until you drop into an area containing the green key. After taking the key, step into the teleporter next to it then go up the steps in front of you to find one or two undead warrior ghosts guarding a blue key door and a switch - after pressing the switch, look through the gate in front of you to see that a gray bridge has risen which you will need to cross later.
Go back to the teleporter to return to the green key room then run south over another small gap to a ledge with one or two nitrogolems on it, which you can follow round to four platforms that have metal crushers above them; make sure to kill any fire gargoyles and other enemies blocking your path before you try to run past the crushers. You will enter an open area with lava channels running through it - head west towards two stone doors and go through the right-hand door, then follow the red path you are standing on round the corner to another stone door and open it to confront one or two fire gargoyles as well as any weredragons and sabreclaws lurking in the passage. Head north down some steps and press the switch at the bottom to raise two metal pillars in front of you that you will need later.
You must now return to the starting point and retrace your steps to the ledge overlooking the green key room; this time, instead of dropping down to where the key was located, run south-west so that you land on a second ledge below then enter a gray tunnel and follow it west until you can run across to a green ledge west of the starting point. Follow the ledge north across the gray bridge you raised earlier into another tunnel and go round the corner to a silver door, then press the switch next to the door to open it and reveal one to three disciples of D'Sparil. Step across the two pillars you raised earlier and follow the path past some nitrogolems to a green key door, open it and go round the corner to find yourself overlooking the lava channel area. Press the switch here then drop down to the floor below and go inside the sandstone tower in the center of the room, which has opened to reveal the blue key along with Wings of Wrath.
Return to the green key area and step into the teleporter here again, then go up the steps and open the blue key door on your left to find a square room with blue walls. Push past some nitrogolem ghosts to reach the middle of the room then go up the steps here to find a Silver Shield and other pickups being guarded by one or two fire gargoyles; the ceiling will raise and reveal more fire gargoyles along with golems and one or two disciples. You can now slide across the ice to an alcove on the north side of the room, where one or two weredragons are guarding the blue exit switch.
Other points of interest
A Firemace can spawn in the following locations:
- Inside secret #3
- Inside secret #4
- After acquiring the blue key, enter the stone passage next to the crushers and follow it down to a locked door with a switch behind it. The switch will raise the lava under the crushers, allowing you to reach a Firemace spawn location in front of a Chaos Device. This will also allow you to safely reach Gauntlets of the Necromancer inside the lava.
From the starting point, head north over the lava then continue north to a stone door. After passing through it, turn right and climb the steps to an Ethereal Crossbow then head south to get on a ledge overlooking the lava channel area where you can collect a Phoenix Rod. There is another Ethereal Crossbow just below this point, as well as an Enchanted Shield and another Dragon Claw in opposite corners of the room.
- Head south from the start and head into the corridors. At the brightly-lit junction, head north and north-west, then open the north wall to get a Ring of Invulnerability and Mace Spheres. (sector 4)
- In the open area with the lava channels, drop into the north-west lava pool and enter the alcove to find Mace Spheres and a Morph Ovum. (sector 122)
- Open the green door and shoot the switch behind the second cage to reveal a teleporter to the north-east. Take it to get a Crystal Vial, three Timebombs of the Ancients, and possibly a Firemace. (sector 217)
- Get the blue key and the Wings of Wrath, then teleport to the west side of the level with the blue key door. Activate the Wings now, fly over the switch and head north. Between the rocks, go through the bottom of the north wall to find Timebombs, ammo, another Wings of Wrath, a Quartz Flask, Crystal Vials, a Phoenix Rod, and possibly a Firemace. (sector 191)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The data was last verified in its entirety on January 7, 2022.