E2M9: The Glacier (Heretic)
|City of the Damned|
|The Dome of D'Sparil|
|The Stagnant Demesne|
|Fate's Path (deathmatch only levels)|
Head down the stairs taking out beasties. You can detonate the pods to help you but be careful. To the left and right of the stained glass windows are crevices that lead to the next part of the level. The pods here regenerate constantly. It is probably best to start on the east side. Take out all the gargoyles and get the secret before heading up the glacier.
Head up the glacier. From here you can get back to the upper level via the ledges or the teleporter. When you grab the yellow key, passages east and west of secret 1 will open. Head for the openings north of the glacier. Take out the undead warrior and press the switch in the southeast corner. A floor section will lower in the northwest corner. Take out the weredragons and go through the teleporter which will teleport you to secret 6, consisting of the isolated pentagonal room in the far north of the map.
This area is full of weredragons. The green key is in the middle room to the west. When you grab it, a wall section will open containing more weredragons. At the southern end of the room, there is a barred cell with a disciple. Take him out (there is no way in from here). Get the time bombs and the Chaos Device and head for the green door. Go through the door and head south. Take out any gargoyles that may come at you from the room to the east but do not go down there yet. When you round the bend and head north, a wall section will open containing an iron lich. Take him out.
Now head back to that big room to the east in the green door area. Go down the stairs and take out all the disciples you can through the upper barred windows to the east and the cell behind the blue key. Before going any further, head for the black iron pillar at the northwest corner of the lava pool. Press the wall section between the two skull torches to reveal a teleporter.
If you go through the second door with the skeletal motif, you will end up back in the southeast corner of the glacier room. Instead, go back through the teleporter. You are now inside the other iron pillar in the southwest corner of the large room in the green door area. Press the wall section ahead to get out. Get the blue key and head for the blue door. Take out the disciples and push the switch. Kill yet the disciple in the room to the left. The door is on a timer; if it closes, you will have to press the switch again. Stepping inside will cause a wall section across from the blue door to open. You are now presented with three teleporters. The one in the small room will end the level so do not use it yet. Go through the southeastern teleporter. This will lead to the upper barred cell in the lava pool room.
Press the switch. This will lower the cell floors. Ride the northern one up and go through the teleporter. This takes you back to the two teleporters. Go through the southwestern one.
Go back into the small room and exit the level. This will take you to E2M5: The Catacombs.
- Once you moved down the third flight of stairs in the opening room, a secret wall will lower in the southwestern alcove at the top of the stairs, revealing a Disciple of D'Sparil that guards a Bag of Holding. (sector 170)
- Once you dropped down into the central chamber containing the giant glacier, approaching any of the stained glass windows in front of it will the lower them. You'll find several items, including the Tome of Power, a Torch and the Dragon Claw, inside. (sector 97)
- Past the green door, in the large room with a lava pool where you'll find the blue key, approach the northeastern pillar on the western side of the room; press the wall section between the two skull torches to reveal a teleporter. This will teleport you to a room with two hidden doors behind some skeletal textures. The one directly behind you leads to a hidden chamber containing the Phoenix Rod. (sector 64)
- From the room containing the blue key (see secret #3), head down the stairs leading south into a room filled with several Golems and an Undead Warrior. The wall opposite from the foot of stairs where you enter contains a misaligned section; pressing against it opens up a secret compartment holding a Ring of Invincibility. (sector 162)
- Following the passage further down from the previous secret will lead to a Undead Warrior Ghost guarding a Mystic Urn. At the northeastern corner of this room, a section of the wall has a misaligned texture, pressing it opens a secret room containing the Hellstaff. (sector 33)
- Once you acquire the yellow key on top of the glacier, passages east and west of secret #2 will open. Inside press the switch in the southeast corner. A floor section will lower in the northwest corner. Jump down and go through the teleporter at the end of the passage, which will teleport you to a secret room filled with several enemies as well as the Wings of Wrath and a Tome of Power.
- Use the Wings of Wrath to fly up to the ledge below the stained glass window on the eastern side of the central chamber containing the giant glacier. The window will lower to reveal a secret compartment behind it with an Iron Lich or Disciple of D'Sparil (on lower difficulties) inside it.
- Once you step into the room containing the exit teleporter, the southern wall of the previous room will open and reveal two teleporters. The western one will take you to a secret room overlooking the yellow key area with the Map Scroll and some ammo inside it.
- Once you step into the room containing the exit teleporter the southern wall of the previous room will open and reveal two teleporters. The eastern one leads to a ledge with a pit separating into two halves. Drop into the pit to land in a small room you could previously see behind a portcullis in front of which you found the blue key. You will find a Mystic Urn and a switch to lower the walls beside you. (sector 134)
If the Firemace has appeared, you can have it at one of four different locations. In order of appearance, the places are:
- The eastern side of the glacier room, where the weapon has been placed on the floor at a corner of two blue walls
- The secret area behind the southwestern stained glass window in the glacier room (see secret 7)
- The southern end of the yellow door hallway
- The exit chamber
If the weapon did not appear, the next chance to get it is on E2M6.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|SM max||05:55||Vincent Catalaá (Peroxyd)||2006-09-28||h2m9-555.zip|
|BP speed||00:51||Natalya Shilyaeva (QWERTY)||2002-10-26||h2b9-051.zip|
|BP max||07:43||Vincent Catalaá (Peroxyd)||2007-02-27||h2f9-743.zip|
|NM 100S||2:04.63||Jean-Charles Dorne (JCD)||2021-02-27||h2x9-204.zip|
|Pacifist||00:54||Jean-Charles Dorne (JCD)||2010-04-22||h2p9-054.zip|
|NoMo||00:38||Jean-Charles Dorne (JCD)||2009-12-13||h2o9-038.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on May 2, 2022.
This level contains five spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 35)
- facing east. (thing 36)
- facing north. (thing 37)
- facing north. (thing 38)
- facing north. (thing 499)