E3M2: Siege (The Edge of Time)
|The Edge of Time maps|
|E1 - Jungle Fever|
|E2 - Not Egypt Again!|
E3 - Armies of Darkness
E3M2: Siege is the second map in the Armies of Darkness episode of The Edge of Time. It was designed by FireSeraphim and uses the music track "Castle Realm, Castle Courtyard" by Joe Lyford, originally from Gauntlet Dark Legacy.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
Other points of interest
- At the main steps in the center, there is a switch between the center and right steps. Use it, then head to the northeast side, entering the enclosed hedge where a doom sphere on a fountain lowers. (sector 637)
- At the southeast end, get rid of the trees on the west side of the high ledge and get the chests full of treasure behind them. (sector 1010)
- At the yellow skull key, use the pillars nearby to jump on the wall to get literal chaos device and red money bags. (sector 935)
- Jump onto the walls where the yellow skull key is, then jump north to the rooftop that has golden crucifixes. (sector 911)
- From Secret #4, jump up the rocks nearby and jump northeast to the crowns. (sector 197)
- Jump north from Secret #5 to find more crowns. (sector 546)
- Jump east from Secret #6 to find more crowns and a Morph Ovum. (sector 584)
- At the east side, fall down and go through the west waterfall to find Morph Ovums and a soulheart. (thing 477)
- By climbing the southeast steps and opening the door requiring the three skull keys, you can head to the south courtyard. Jump on the wall to the east, then onto the fence, going back north, onto the fence tops. Carefully jump north to another fence, then from there, jump east and head south (do not take the north teleporter, as it will just teleport you to the northeast side of the map. The actual way to get to this area is to open the central door that requires three skull keys, then destroy the knight statue to the left and go through a translucent wall to a teleporter), getting silver coins and Hell scepters. The teleporter takes you to a long path with more silver coins, more Hell scepters, Frost Ovums, Morph Ovums, a computer area map, and a megacharge. (sector 1121)
- At the end of the path where Secret #9 is, jump on the south wall and make a well-timed jump slightly southwest to get an unholy bible. (sector 533)
- Head south from Secret #10 and jump to the rock that has a Hell Scepter. (sector 534)
- Jump southeast from Secret #11 to find a crown and a turbosphere. (sector 607)
- Northeast from Secret #12 are three crowns. (sector 706)
- Head south from the previous two secrets, across the fence, and to the rocks. You can find three more crowns here. (sector 659)
- At the south end of the main building, dive into the fountain to find a megacharge. (thing 2105)
- At the tower, head to the north fence and look northwest. in the distance, shoot the target, then return to the front door to claim an argent channeler, big argent cells, argent cells, and a backpack. (thing 1166)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The (absence of) data was last verified in its entirety on March 21, 2022.
Inspiration and development
This level was strongly inspired by the Castle Courtyard level from the Castle Realm in Gauntlet Dark Legacy, with a deliberate effort to capture the feeling of fighting your way through a castle under siege.
The Pojo Egg powerup was developed during the creation of this level and is a deliberate callback to its namesake in Gauntlet Dark Legacy. This map also ends in a similar manner to its inspiration, with the player exiting the level in a spot up on the castle ramparts. In general this level takes many cues from from its source inspiration.
The level was one of two maps that were originally going to be E3M1 but was moved to the E3M2 slot due to it being a bit too intense for an episode starting map.