E3M2: Slough of Despair (Doom)
|Ultimate Doom maps|
|Knee-Deep in the Dead|
|The Shores of Hell|
|Thy Flesh Consumed|
E3M2: Slough of Despair is the second map of Inferno in Doom. As can be seen from the map, its plan is based on a human hand. The name may be a reference to "the Slough of Despond", from John Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress. It was designed by Sandy Petersen and uses the music track "Donna to the Rescue." The par time is 0:45.
At the start, keep to the left hand wall and just keep firing at any monster and/or demon that comes your way. If you get outnumbered, simply backtrack to the start and let the monster(s) follow you. Begin firing at the monster(s) until you've defeated them. Keep moving along until you get to the blue key. Then turn around, go straight, and when you're out of the alcove, take two lefts into another one. Walk up to the wall in front of you. Kill the lost souls that were behind the wall (or avoid them), and go into the room they were in. Open the blue door in here, hit the switch, turn around, go right, grab the health and ammo, and get to the exit teleporter.
- In the "thumb" is a small lava pit. Walk over it to lower a nearby wall, revealing a chaingun. (sector 19)
- Below the little and ring fingers is a rock shaped like an arrow if you look at the automap. Open the wall this arrow is pointing to; inside is a plasma rifle and a medikit. (sector 58)
- At the end of the middle finger is an arrow on the floor pointing to a switch; flip it to get a soul sphere. (sector 28)
Two "hanging leg" decorations (Things 184 and 185) and a "pool of blood and flesh" decoration (Thing 187) have no flags set for any of the difficulty classes, so they do not actually appear in the level.
Near the second "joint" of the "little finger" (just after the Cacodemon trap), a severed leg is hanging from the open sky.
Upon entering midway into the "index finger" the wall at the opening closes. This wall is supposed to be opened by the switch at the end, but the one time only switch may be triggered before the wall fully shuts. When this happens the player becomes trapped and is unable to complete the level.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-N records for the map are:
|UV speed||00:12||Marijo Sedlić (Sedlo)||2002-12-25||e3m2-012.zip|
|NM speed||00:13||Adam Hegyi||1999-07-03||n3m2-013.zip|
|UV max||01:54||Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)||2013-10-27||e3m2-154.zip|
|NM100S||00:43||Andy Kempling (aurikan)||1999-06-25||n3s2-043.zip|
|UV -fast||02:40||Radek Pecka||2001-09-17||f3m2-240.zip|
|UV -respawn||01:55||Radek Pecka||1996-08-27||r3m2-155.zip|
|UV Tyson||02:07||Radek Pecka||2004-02-01||t3m2-207.zip|
|UV pacifist||00:12||Marijo Sedlić (Sedlo)||2002-12-25||e3m2-012.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on December 29, 2013.
- "Slough" here is pronounced like "slew", and can refer either to a marshy pit or bog, or a large amount.
- Of all the home ports of Doom only the SNES port has this map. This map was removed in the Jaguar, 3DO, GBA, PlayStation and Saturn editions.