E3M2: Unholy Valley (Doom: Damnation)
|Doom: Damnation maps|
|Knee-Deep in the Dead|
|The Shores of Hell|
|Thy Flesh Consumed|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Throughout this level, watch out for lost souls teleporting in to various areas. Press the skull switch in front of you to lower the wall then go up the steps and head north until you see a demon between some blue torches. Stand in the area with the torches and the floor beneath you will lower; head north-west between the dead trees until you reach a metal wall, and a second floor will lower carrying you into an area with tunnels and lava pools. Head west from here until you find the red skull key on a plinth, then go east and north where a wall has lowered to reveal several imps guarding a teleporter. The teleporter will send you to a structure in the middle of the level which has three locked doors - you will need to return to this area later.
As soon as you are teleported, turn right and follow the passage filled with armor bonuses until you drop to the ground then turn right to see a red brick structure in front of you; enter this structure and walk around the walls to find a water pool with imps guarding the blue skull key. Head south out of the structure and continue in that direction until you enter a tunnel containing a chainsaw, then head west to find one or two cacodemons guarding a blue key door next to some candles. Open the door and turn left to find a room with imps guarding a skull switch, press it then go back through the blue key door to see that a wall has lowered in front of you revealing a baron of Hell. Step past this wall to an area with a red triangular plinth, turn right and press use on a pillar with a beating heart (there are two arrows sunk into the ground pointing at it) - this will lower the pillar behind the triangular plinth holding the yellow skull key. Picking up the key will lower the outer wall, revealing cacodemons.
Go back through the blue key door and step on the teleporter in front of you to reach the area with the three locked doors, open all three and press the gargoyle switches behind them then head back to the blue key door. South-east of this door is another door that requires the red key - open it then head east and north up three sets of steps, passing zombiemen, spectres and shotgun guys on the way. Once you reach the top (and confront a baron on Hurt Me Plenty skill level or higher), head north across a bridge and press the skull switch that rises in front of you to finish the level.
Other points of interest
After collecting the yellow key, head south through the blood pool to a chamber containing a brick structure and go round to its south side where you can drop down to a pit containing demons and a chaingun.
- In the red key area, there are several fire pits with vines in front of them. At the east side, one of those vines is green instead of brown. Use the vines there to open a wall to the east with a medikit, a backpack and a stimpack. (sector 310)
- When you teleport to the area with the three key doors, open the wall behind you to get a berserk pack (or an invulnerability on I'm Too Young to Die and Hey Not Too Rough skill levels). (sector 82)
- In the room with the switch that opens the yellow key area, lower the wall with the corpse on the floor to find a switch. Using it reveals an alcove to the east with a box of shotgun shells, a box of bullets, a computer area map and medikits inside. (sector 128)
- Make sure to open the red door and the yellow key area before attempting this secret. Once you do both, enter the yellow key area and use the evil eye in the middle surrounded by skulls on sticks. This lowers the pillars with armor bonuses, but also lowers a secret inside the room behind the red door. Quickly run back there to collect a supercharge. (sector 244)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The (absence of) data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.
This level contains nine spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 515)
- facing north-west. (thing 516)
- facing south. (thing 521)
- facing north. (thing 522)
- facing south. (thing 529)
- facing south-east. (thing 534)
- facing south-west. (thing 539)
- facing south-east. (thing 542)
- facing north-west. (thing 544)