E3M3: Malebolge (Doom the Way id Did)
|Doom the Way id Did maps|
|Knee-Deep in the Dead|
|The Shores of Hell|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Open the door at the start and you will be greeted by a cacodemon. Go behind him to get a shotgun and some shells. Go to the other side of the area as the doors need the red key to find a baron of Hell and a chaingun, as well as a blood tunnel leading to a very open area. You can go through the vines here. Head south and find some stairs leading up to the higher ground so you can acquire the red skull key. Now go northward, and then through the north door, up the staircase and through the red door to go back to the beginning. A few more monsters may appear here, so kill them and take the other red door in this room. In the next room, do not take the door in front yet. A cacodemon can ambush you from the vines. Follow the passage through the vines, taking the next door you see and grabbing the blue key at the end. Now you can either backtrack through the passage and take the other door past the red door, until you find the next blue door, or drop down from where the key was and take the blue door there. Either way, find the stairs and take them up, and hit the next switch (there is a surprise cacodemon behind you) to obtain the yellow key. Drop down here looking out for the baron of Hell here and find the yellow door to exit.
Other points of interest
When you reach the blood river that encompasses most of the map, head eastward to find a rocket launcher.
Head south from the blood river and you will eventually find the plasma gun in the southernmost part of the map.
- In the blood river area that encompasses the main part of the map, head north and east to find a conspicuous red wall. Find the rocket launcher that is in the eastern part of the map, just around the red wall. Opposite of the launcher is a switch. Press it and go back around and the wall will be gone, and you will be able to obtain a light amplification visor. (sector 207)
- South of Secret #1 is a vine-covered area, where you will see the items in Secret #3. Just to the left of it is a misaligned portion of wall that you can open. It leads to a room with lost souls, a demon, a stimpack, and shotgun shells. (sector 234) Behind where the demon is, use the lift and go upwards to a switch that lowers the megaarmor in the adjacent room.
- Head southeast from the blood river through two sets of vines into a small cave. Turn left and press on the green, vine-covered wall to obtain a backpack and some rockets. (sector 233)
- Head southeast from where you can get Secret #3 (or head due east from the plasma gun) and follow the winding passage to some armor bonuses and a chainsaw. (sector 253)
- Press on the red fire wall near the chainsaw in Secret #4 to lower it. You will find a room with cell charges and boxes of rockets. (sector 258) If you pressed the switch in Secret #2, you will be able to access the megaarmor.
- Open the red door west of the starting point, then notice that part of the northern wall is recessed. Open it for a box of shells and a medikit. (sector 141)
- Head into the hall west of Secret #6, and the northern wall here appears to have blood on the bottom. Press it to lower it, and you will find a couple of rocket boxes and a demon sitting in the blood. If you go behind him, you will acquire a blur artifact. (sector 226)
- Go south through the hallway directly south of the room Secret #7 is in. When you reach the bend, turn back around and head through the same room quickly to find a lift has lowered. Quickly go through here and head north (Secret #6 is visible through here as well) to wind up in a big hall. (sector 208) Press the switch in this hall to lower a lift containing a BFG9000.
- Go south of Secret #6 through the vines where the cacodemon came from, and then turn left to the next hall. You can lower the wall that is directly behind the stimpack as a lift, obtaining a radiation suit. The lift lowers all the way so you can get a cell charge pack and a medikit. (sector 228)
- From the ledge where you can get the blue key, go to the northern window, and jump to the spinal pentagon structure. (sector 37) Drop into it and press the eye switch. This will lower not only the one you were trapped in, but the other spinal structure as well, where you can obtain a soul sphere.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV max||3:38.03||Casey Alvis (Altima Mantoid)||2013-01-06||dtwid-lmps.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.
This level contains six spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 253)
- facing east. (thing 255)
- facing east. (thing 256)
- facing east. (thing 258)
- facing south. (thing 259)
- facing west. (thing 261)