E3M3: Pandemonium (Doom)
|Ultimate Doom maps|
|Knee-Deep in the Dead|
|The Shores of Hell|
|Thy Flesh Consumed|
E3M3: Pandemonium is the third map of Inferno in Doom. It was designed by Tom Hall and Sandy Petersen. It uses the music "Deep Into The Code". Pandæmonium is the name of the capital of Hell and the palace of Satan in John Milton's epic poem Paradise Lost. The par time is 1:30.
You start in the center of the most southern area. Walk straight up the stairs to enter a wooden area with a switch in the end and two stairs on the sides (close to the switch). The switch lowers the pedestal in this area with a shotgun on top. Take the right stairs (east) and enter a red bloody roof. Turn right and walk forward. Take right again once you will be lowered on an elevator and enter a spacier and pinker corridor.
Walk forward. To your right you can see another elevator, but choose to go down the metallic stairs and you will find the blue key. Go back the same way you came back to the start or use the aforementioned elevator as a shortcut with items at the top. Be careful since the floor hurts.
This time take the western road and pass a room with green toxic and a room with moving walls. Go up the stairs in the next room and pass it and to a wooden door far away. To the left of the door (looking at it), there is an area with the blue door to the right. Inside is the exit.
- From the start, hang right (east), then turn left into a hall with several lion-faced walls. Between the last two on the right is a dark hidden hallway leading to a secret area. (sector 71)
- In secret #1, cross the bridge and follow the path to the end. Flip the switch to raise the sunken floor. The next room counts as a secret also. Alternatively, run across the red nukage to the berserk pack, and enter the room behind it. (sector 164)
- At the end of the lion-faced hall is a circular nukage room where the path splits off in two; follow the left one and drop into the nukage pool. Hidden around the right corner is a chaingun. (sector 184)
- Once you have reached the cement-walled room in the northwest (with two balconies overlooking it, one of which is fenced in), follow the narrow hall next to the fenced-in balcony. Go up the stairs to the left; the balcony itself counts as a secret. (sector 110) A nearby blood/lava pool contains a soul sphere and a BFG9000, the first one in the game.
- In the outdoor area with the blue door at the northern end of the map, there is a raised platform in the center of the room resembling an altar. Walk around to the back and step on the brown floor. A wall across the way and to the right will open up. Inside is a computer area map. (sector 154)
- Similar to secret #5, but on the opposite side of the entrance to the area. This wall must be opened manually through walking closer to it. (sector 187)
In Doom v1.1, flipping the switch inside the sunken floor also raises the floor. If you then flip the switch to the south, the floor will then try to move up into and through the ceiling. Later versions of Doom fix this bug.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV speed||00:22||Marijo Sedlić (Sedlo)||2004-03-20||e3m3-022.zip|
|NM speed||00:27||Adam Williamson||1999-10-21||n3m3-027.zip|
|UV max||02:12||M. Phoenix Dailey (Archy)||2012-02-26||e3m3-212.zip|
|UV -fast||02:29||Radek Pecka||2000-11-19||f3m3-229.zip|
|UV -respawn||02:09||M. Phoenix Dailey (Archy)||2013-03-24||r3m3-209.zip|
|UV Tyson||02:25||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2003-04-07||t3m3-225.zip|
|UV pacifist||00:22||Marijo Sedlić (Sedlo)||2004-03-20||e3m3-022.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 6, 2020.
This level contains seven spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 191)
- facing north. (thing 192)
- facing north-west. (thing 193)
- facing north. (thing 194)
- facing west. (thing 195)
- facing east. (thing 196)
- facing south. (thing 197)
Inspiration and development
Early versions of this level appeared as E1M9 of Doom 0.4 and E1M5 of Doom 0.5. The map was originally conceived as the Control Center of the Tei Tenga base mentioned in the Doom Bible. The map was meant to connect both the "public" and "restricted" sides of the base, serving as a central hub of sorts, having many exits to different maps.
- Collecting the soul sphere located in the lava pit within the center of the map is a prime spot to show the rare ouch face.
- The track in this level is based off of "Behind the Crooked Cross" by Slayer. The SNES port uses the song "On the Hunt".
- The official French name of this level is Pandémonium (accents are not reflected in the game itself due to technical limitations).
- E3M3 demos from the Compet-n database: UV speed • NM speed • UV max • NM100S • UV -fast • UV -respawn • UV Tyson • UV pacifist
- Top-down perspective view of all Doom levels by Ian Albert
- Milton, John. "Paradise Lost." The Complete Poetical Works of John Milton (Cambridge Edition), edited by William Vaughn Moody, 111-112. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin and Co., 1899.