E3M6: Depths (Doom the Way id Did)
|Doom the Way id Did maps|
|Knee-Deep in the Dead|
|The Shores of Hell|
This level contains a secret exit leading to E3M9: Lake of Fire.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
You are next to several barrels. Try not to shoot the barrels here, instead head down the passageway as quickly as you can, because barrels will explode behind you. Drop down and pick up the shotgun. Picking it up triggers a large monster ambush from three sides. There are a number of paths you can take at this point. If you climb the stairs to the northeast, you will find the yellow door and a room with a chaingun. The secret exit and the blue skull key can be accessed from here. If you go southwest instead, you can drop into the blood and see the red key. To retrieve it, go west and around out of the blood until you find an opening northeast. Go around the structure to get the key. You can go east from this area down the blood hallway, further pressing on and you will find a small spiral staircase downwards. There is a large room to the east with the red door and the plasma gun. With the red key, go through the door here, drop down, and follow the path to the yellow skull key. Take the teleporter to appear back in the plasma gun room, with two barons of Hell on the sides. Now you can go to the normal exit if you choose so. To do that, head back to the hub, and climb the set of stairs to the northeast. Open the yellow door to open the one behind it, and exit here.
If you want the secret exit, you need to do two things. First, you must open the way to the exit, and second, you need the blue skull key. To open the way, return to the plasma gun room. Find the set of gargoyle faces with torches in front of them to the northwest. Find the one that is behind a blue torch. Shoot this one and then return to the hub that had the shotgun trap. Through the eastern monster closet is a new passage, enter it and grab the soul sphere to trigger a wall to the north revealing several monsters and switches with red and blue torches in front of them. The color of the torches do not mean anything here, all you need to do is find the switch that is already lit. You must press this switch directly; this opens up the way to the secret exit in the northwest part of the map. Now to get the blue key, return to the plasma gun room. Go through the passage north of the torches and through here is a new area. Press the switch to lower the lift behind you. When you ride it up, you will notice the lower passageway zigzags and has nukage and crushers. To cross safely, jump from the platform you are on to the ledge on top of the switch and press the wall without green slime on it. This opens a secret with a radiation suit in it. Reuse the lift, and traverse this area carefully looking out for crushers until you obtain the blue skull key. With both of these things done you will be in the room with the chaingun, and the way west will be open. Take this path and the blue door to the secret exit.
Other points of interest
- At the very beginning, go to the left for a berserk pack. (sector 4)
- Right where the red key is, press the switch and turn right to get an armor. (sector 60)
- In the room to the south with the rocky steps leading up to the rocket launcher, grab the gun and a wall opens up revealing a small room with cacodemons and a spiral staircase. When you go down the staircase, you may hear a lift lowering. When you do, head back into the previous room and quickly head into the opening before it rises. Follow the path, opening the next wall and you will find a computer area map. (sector 99)
- At the top of the stairs in the spiral staircase room, jump northwards and follow the path to a room with blood and several columns with switches on them. You need to find the switch here that is unlike the other ones. It is on the northeastern column and it is a lion switch. Press it to lower a platform containing a blur artifact. (sector 117)
- On the eastern side of the map, before getting the yellow key, you can press the northwestern wall to obtain two cell charge packs. (sector 213)
- Head north of the plasma gun room up the stairs to the open area. Flip the switch to lower the lift and ride it up. Now jump east over the switch you pressed and find the gray wall that does not have green slime on it to obtain a radiation suit. (sector 173) This will help you if you are getting the blue key required for the secret exit.
- In the plasma gun room, look to the northwest to find several switches behind torches. Shoot the switch that is behind the blue torch, then return to the room where you dropped down from the beginning. The rightmost closet here has a new opening, so go climb the steps down to get a soul sphere. (sector 144) When you grab the soul sphere, the northern wall opens up revealing monsters, as well as more switches behind torches. If you are attempting to get the secret exit, what you need to do is find the switch that is already lit, and press it (do not shoot it, press it).
- The switch mentioned in Secret #7 will lower a barrier to the secret exit, next to the chaingun. (sector 197)
- The secret exit room counts as a secret sector. (sector 205)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed (normal exit)|
|UV speed (secret exit)|
|NM speed (normal exit)|
|NM speed (secret exit)|
|UV max||3:59.11||Casey Alvis (Altima Mantoid)||2013-02-26||dtwid-lmps.zip|
|UV pacifist (normal exit)|
|UV pacifist (secret exit)|
|NoMo (normal exit)||0:34.60||Guanlan Chen (GarrettChan)||2021-09-04||i3d6o034.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.
This level contains five spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 95)
- facing west. (thing 96)
- facing south. (thing 98)
- facing north. (thing 352)
- facing north. (thing 392)