E3M7: Inner Sanctum (Doom the Way id Did)
|Doom the Way id Did maps|
|Knee-Deep in the Dead|
|The Shores of Hell|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
You will start in the southern part of a caged central interior. The other parts have a red skull key, a blue skull key, and a BFG9000. From the start head straight south to the switch here to open the door leading to the underground cavern. The cavern is vast with a number of enemies dotted around it, so be careful of where you are at. You will find blue doors to the north; they lead to the exit. Go to the western part of the cavern and you will find an opening inwards. Go here and hit the switch to open the door you see through the window. Get out of there, and head around the red rocks till you reach this door. Follow the linear path and you will eventually acquire the red skull key from the center. When you do, notice that the place around you shapeshifts, and you are able to head back to the beginning through a new tunnel. Do so, and head back into the cavern. Now find the red door, it should be in the southeast part of the cavern. Take this door to go into the sanctum again. Head left, up the stairs to a switch, and then after pressing it take the other route and you should find the blue skull key. Again, the sanctum will shapeshift, and a baron of Hell will teleport in. You may find an extra switch here, which lowers the central teleporter. With the blue key, head to the northern part of the cavern where the exit is. Behind the door, the exit is just to the north.
Other points of interest
There is a berserk pack on the platform to the northwest.
The room on the northeastern part of the rocky interior can be opened via the eye switch. Enter it to find a megaarmor.
The red door that does not lead into the sanctum leads to an area with various supplies. It is just east of the red door that leads into the sanctum.
- Enter the passageway on the western side of the map and press the switch to open the nearby door. Enter it, and you will hear another door open. Go back to where you pressed the switch to find an open room to find a cell charge, some armor bonuses, and a blur artifact. (sector 105)
- When you grab the blue key, you will lower a wall to the southeast, which connects back to the path to the start as well as the path to the red key. There is a switch on the bend of this wall here which lowers the central teleporter. Take the teleporter from the eastern side (where the blue key was) to pop out on a ledge with a computer area map and a plasma gun. (sector 147)
- If you enter the same teleporter on the western side (where the red key was), you will pop out on a ledge containing a soul sphere. (sector 122)
- Approach the exit of the map to the north, and look out for demons who will ambush you from behind. There is a switch in the hiding place to the right, hit it and head south to find a bridge being raised. Go through and drop down, hitting the eye switch to reveal the BFG9000. (sector 171)
If you enter the teleporter from the northern side, (accessible once you collect the BFG9000 in Secret #4) you will find a winding passage that dead-ends in a room with an artistic rendering of a Dopefish on the wall.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed||0:56.23||Kyle McAwesome||2014-12-16||i3d7-056.zip|
|UV max||3:48.40||Casey Alvis (Altima Mantoid)||2013-01-01||dtwid-lmps.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.
This level contains eight spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 351)
- facing west. (thing 352)
- facing south. (thing 353)
- facing east. (thing 354)
- facing west. (thing 355)
- facing north. (thing 356)
- facing west. (thing 357)
- facing south. (thing 358)