E3M9: Lake of Fire (Doom the Way id Did)
|Doom the Way id Did maps|
|Knee-Deep in the Dead|
|The Shores of Hell|
E3M9: Lake of Fire is the secret map of Inferno in Doom the Way id Did, which can be accessed from E3M6: Depths. It was designed by Christopher Lutz in the style of Sandy Petersen. The par time defined in the DEHACKED lump is 1:30.
Completing this level takes the player to E3M7: Inner Sanctum.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Open the door in front of you to appear in the field. In here, the area is quite reminiscent of E3M6: Mt. Erebus from the original game. Enter the northwest building. The yellow door is straight ahead, and it leads to the exit, but you want to go right first. On this raised walkway, the blue key is on the other end so take it. Now exit this building. Go through the blue door in the south center of the main field. Here, head to the far western room. In here, you need to raise a bridge to cross the lava river. Go into the side room to the south to find the switch to do so. When you grab the yellow skull key, look out for several monsters to your sides. Also be wary as some enemies may be out and about on the field as you exit. Return to the northwestern building and take the yellow door to leave.
Other points of interest
If you want a rocket launcher, head east through the tunnel and you will see it on a pedestal. Press the switch to raise stairs to it.
- Go behind the northwestern building in the main area on the left side, and you will find a megaarmor. (sector 244)
- East of the northwestern building and southeast of the northernmost building is an opening of the rocks accessible from the lava. Go in here to obtain a backpack. (sector 39)
- Enter the northwestern building and take a right into the room with the caged cacodemon. Drop into the blood behind the cage and pick up a computer area map. (sector 80)
- After opening the blue door, head for the southeastern-most door here. Quickly run through this door into the next room with caged enemies and a chainsaw. You will notice that the northeastern cage has lowered, so quickly run to it before it rises and a passage will open allowing you to get a soul sphere. (sector 222)
- In the area that has a bridge over lava in the southern part of the map, head to the eastern part of the bridge to open an alcove, if it has not been opened already. Inside this alcove, one of the walls does not have green stains on it. Open it for a passage of health bonuses, and open the next door to retrieve a plasma gun. (sector 198)
- In the southwestern room, fall into the lava river and head northward until you find a megaarmor. (sector 13)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV max||6:00.09||Casey Alvis (Altima Mantoid)||2013-03-12||dtwid-lmps.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.
This level contains seven spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 4)
- facing west. (thing 5)
- facing south. (thing 6)
- facing north. (thing 7)
- facing north-east. (thing 501)
- facing east. (thing 502)
- facing east. (thing 503)