E4M1: Catafalque (Heretic)
|City of the Damned|
|The Dome of D'Sparil|
|The Stagnant Demesne|
|Fate's Path (deathmatch only levels)|
Beginning and yellow key
You start in a small chamber that is connected to two side rooms. (A) Multiple gargoyles lurk behind the nearby corners. Make a run for the green key in the distance (B) - picking up the Ethereal Crossbow on the way - as it is a means to face the gargoyles one by one. This level is short of ammo, so alternatively you can switch to melee and make use of the crusher. (C) Collect the ammo, the vials and the Silver Shield in the side rooms and hit the switch in the southeast corner of the crusher room. Then you are able to drop from the balcony in the west.
You can collect the yellow key (D) in the outside area. However, there are sabreclaws and a maulotaur below the balcony, and four ophidians on a platform of a building in the middle of the area. A working way is to run westbound to the key and then return to the eastern end of the area as quickly. Optionally, you can take your time and shoot the ophidians of the building, so that you do not have to face them later. A part of the wall will descend in the east while you approach the key. You need to use the teleporter in the room beyond the wall (E).
You will end up inside the building with a couple of gargoyles on the two hardest skill levels. (F). Press one banner wall, and all four will lower exposing the previously seen ophidians, unless you have killed them already. Go out to trigger the pillar in the middle and return in, if you need to escape from the situation quickly. Otherwise, you may collect the three Quartz Flasks and the Morph Ovum that are stored on the platform. The revealed teleporter inside the building will transport you back to the balcony. Make use of the crusher to kill the monsters that possibly pursue you.
Behind the yellow door, there are sabreclaws and gargoyles in the first room (G). Push the switch behind the wooden door, and two passages will open high in the first room, the northern one containing disciples and the southern one sabreclaws. In order to proceed, you can choose between the two passages. While the northern area is safer to pass, the southern zone has a wider variety of items to collect.
- Once you drop to the southern room (H), you cannot return immediately. The switches in the area supply stairs to the Gauntlets of the Necromancer. Notice that each time you reach the top of the staircase series, an elevator will descend temporarily to provide you a way out (I). If you only want to progress in the level, you can already leave the room once you reach the elevator trigger, as the necessary action has been done by then.
Collecting the gauntlets will trigger an ambush by gargoyles and disciples. Try to escape them, or fight without becoming surrounded. Pressing the eagle wall nearby (J) will reveal a room with disciples (and a Shadowsphere) to your right, and further in the opened passage in front of you, there are some sabreclaws as well. By following the way to the end, you will find yourself in the starting room, welcomed by a few gargoyles and having triggered secret 1. (A) With the much-needed Greater Runes in your possession, re-enter the yellow door.
- Go to the northern room (K), kill the disciples that have not yet entered further, and hit the switch. A platform will descend, and you can move to the exposed area to pick up some timebombs. Re-enter the wooden door.
In the northeast, you can see a switch. (L) By hitting it, you will make a teleporter accessible on the top of the opposite staircase. Go to step on it. (M)
You will end up into a dark water passage to the north of the outside area. (N) There are many ophidians. Once dispatched or diverted, do not head to the illuminated area, but look instead for two hanging skulls. Hit the wall between them (T) to reveal a teleporter leading to secret 2, placed on a high ledge outside. (U) A Chaos Device and an Energy Orb can be found there.
Go back to the water passage and approach the illuminated area. A pillar will descend, carrying a Dragon Claw. Step in, and the elevator will lead you above the green key (B). The orthogonal pillars in the crusher room will go down revealing goodies and more ophidians. Kill the monsters and enter the green door in the east.
In the room beyond, there are gargoyles and a Hellstaff. (O) Press the middle painting on the southern wall and kill the sabreclaws beyond it. (P) Hit the switch, and the door to the last room of the level will open. Now you also have two teleporters available. (Q) The one behind the middle painting of the northern wall is for returning to the starting point, while the other in the northeast corner is able to bring you to the upper floor of the final room. (V1-V4) Using the latter will give you a Ring of Invincibility and allow secret 3 to be triggered.
As soon as you walk inside the red border in the final room (R), the center platform will rise, and you have to face some iron liches. Climb onto the platform to expose a switch (S1). Pressing it will give access to a second one (S2), and the second one will open yet a third one (S3). Hit the third switch to reveal the exit teleporter. (Ω)
- In the gauntlets room, following the passage behind the eagle shaped wall and returning to the starting room. (sector 137, J & A)
- In the dark room in the water, gaining access to the teleporter between two hanging skulls, and getting to the elevated ledge. (sector 199, T & U)
- Past the green door, after hitting the switch, stepping on the teleporter in the northeastern cubicle, and walking on the upper floor in the next room. (sector 10, Q & V1-V4)
- In the southern switch room of the final area (S1), a sabreclaw (thing 396) has been flagged to appear only in multiplayer mode. Since the equivalent monsters in the northern and eastern rooms lack the flag, it was probably added by accident.
- The level has three places, where two adjacent ceilings have a height difference of eight map units, but where the necessary upper textures have not been set. The lacks result in minor visual distortions. The following cases apply:
- 18 sidedefs do not have textures at the side staircases in the room east of the yellow door (G).
- Three sidedefs lack textures in front of the elevator in the dark water passage (N).
- The sidedef (1,103) on the western side of the green door is affected by the problem.
Areas / screenshots
- A catafalque is a raised platform used to support the casket, coffin, or body of the deceased during a funeral. It is possible the catafalque in question belongs to D'Sparil, considering he was killed by the player in the previous episode.