E4M7: And Hell Followed (Doom)
|Ultimate Doom maps|
|Knee-Deep in the Dead|
|The Shores of Hell|
John Anderson originally titled the level CHIRON.WAD. It was originally a level meant for Doom II before being converted to use only Doom 1 textures and enemies as part of Anderson's collaboration with id Software.
The map title comes from Revelation 6:8: "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and hell followed with him."
The level is considered relatively easy compared to the rest of the levels in the episode. Due to the lower difficulty many players can beat the map without much trouble on Ultra-Violence, even from a pistol start—unlike most other Thy Flesh Consumed levels.
It is not necessary to get the blue or yellow keys in order to complete the level; the blue key is needed only to get the yellow key, the yellow key is needed only to access the secrets.
All three keys are in the level but the only required key is red, while others are needed to get to various optional areas.
Grab the shotgun in the starting area and kill the enemies ahead. Walk up the stairs to your left in this room (west). Atop, turn left and head to the gargoyle panel. It will vanish unexpectedly. Enter the next room with blood at the bottom and four-way paths. Go up the stairs to your right (west). Grab the red skull key lying on the balcony.
Backtrack to the starting room and take the door leading to the northern area (this door requires the red key, although it is not marked with red bars). Outside, drop down into the nukage pit and take the tunnel to the west. Take the radiation suit and open the red bars. Take the lift into the room. Press the skull switch to reveal a baron of Hell. Flip the switch. Leave this room by dropping down into outside area. The switch you have pressed raised two bridges. Walk on the bridge to enter the structure in the middle. A switch will grow from the ground when you enter. Flip the switch to finish.
- Open the wall to the south in the ovoid room in the south of the map. There are several goodies to help you defeat the baron of Hell (easy/medium) or cyberdemon (hard) that teleports in. (sector 262)
- Flipping the skull switch directly across from secret #1 opens a secret room in the stairway to the east. (sector 250)
- Open the east wall inside secret #1 to reveal an invulnerability sphere. The sector it rests on counts as a secret, but due to its height it cannot be reached by normal means, and thus must be triggered by turning clipping off and walking over it or by jumping onto it (in certain source ports). It is however possible to use the cyberdemon's rocket blasts to reach it. (sector 264)
- The door that opens into secret #3 also counts as a secret sector, but because of its thinness it's also impossible to trigger it normally. The only way to register it is by walking over it in noclip mode. (sector 263)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
You can straferun from the courtyard to the exit area, avoiding all the enemies in the west computer room.
Current Compet-n records
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV speed||00:09||Marijo Sedlić (Sedlo)||2004-03-10||u4m7-009.zip|
|NM speed||00:10||Karim El-Sheikh (Kimo Xvirus)||2012-01-10||n4m7-010.zip|
|UV max||02:15||Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)||2020-07-24||u4m7-215.zip|
|UV -fast||02:42||Radek Pecka||2001-11-24||f4m7-242.zip|
|UV -respawn||01:50||Radek Pecka||2001-11-25||r4m7-150.zip|
|UV Tyson||06:12||Radek Pecka||2004-02-15||t4m7-612.zip|
|UV pacifist||00:12||Jonathan Rimmer||1999-06-07||p4m7-012.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on November 22, 2020.
Current DSDA records
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed||0:09.94||Marijo Sedlić (Sedlo)||2004-03-10||u4m7-009.zip|
|NM speed||0:10.89||Karim El-Sheikh (Kimo Xvirus)||2012-01-10||n4m7-010.zip|
|UV max||2:15.94||Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)||2020-07-24||u4m7-215.zip|
|UV -fast||2:42.26||Radek Pecka||2001-11-24||f4m7-242.zip|
|UV -respawn||1:50.74||Radek Pecka||2001-11-25||r4m7-150.zip|
|UV Tyson||6:10.49||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2022-01-23||t4m7-610.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.
This level contains five spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 137)
- facing south. (thing 138)
- facing west. (thing 139)
- facing north. (thing 140)
- facing south. (thing 244)
- Lee Killough. "Doom Level Design Credits." Planet Romero (archived 🏛). Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- 19duke84 (3 September 2018). "Doom e4m7 Cyberdemon secret assist (getting 75% secrets)." YouTube. Retrieved 20 December 2019.