E4M9: Fear (Doom)
|Ultimate Doom maps|
|Knee-Deep in the Dead|
|The Shores of Hell|
E4M9: Fear is the secret map of Thy Flesh Consumed in Doom and can be accessed from E4M2: Perfect Hatred. It was designed by Tim Willits and uses the music track "Hiding the Secrets". In the Doom Classic port, it has a par time of 3:00.
The yellow skull key is the only key to collect in this level. In the starting outside area enter the door ahead. Grab the shotgun of the dead man and head into another door before you. In the next room, there are two switches located east and west. It is enough to press just one or if you want press them both. After that, return back to the starting place. Enter the northern corridor, as the blocking-way bars (or just one) are lowered. Go to the east of the corridor. Face south here and walk on the narrow ledge toward the yellow skull key.
After collecting it, backtrack into the corridor and open the northeastern door. Advance on the corridor toward two exit doors in the north. Enter either one, then flip the lever to end this level.
- Once in the large circular room in the south, go through the door to the west and continue right up the stairs. After passing through the next door, turn around and open the differently textured wall just left of it. Inside is a berserk pack. (sector 53)
- Open the wall directly across from the exit switch to get a backpack. (sector 234)
There are 25 uncategorized anomalies in this level's REJECT table.
It is possible to get stuck without being able to die or exit the level by straferunning or rocket jumping into the pool of water next to the chaingun.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
Current Compet-n records
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV speed||00:08||Hi Jango||2006-01-19||u4m9-008.zip|
|NM speed||00:09||Thomas Pilger (Panter)||1999-06-04||n4m9-009.zip|
|UV max||02:19||Radek Pecka||2003-03-11||u4m9-219.zip|
|UV -fast||02:19||Chris Ratcliff (Ryback)||2015-11-09||f4m9-219.zip|
|UV -respawn||01:59||Radek Pecka||2001-12-08||r4m9-159.zip|
|UV Tyson||03:49||Radek Pecka||2002-12-05||t4m9-349.zip|
|UV pacifist||00:08||Hi Jango||2006-01-19||u4m9-008.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 6, 2020.
Current DSDA records
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed||0:08.29||deeperjungle||2022-08-17||e4m9uv0829.zip||Cross-listed from Pacifist|
|NM speed||0:08.71||Percy T||2020-11-28||e4m9n871.zip|
|NM 100S||0:18.91||Brian Martin||2021-05-28||n4s9-018.zip|
|UV -fast||2:19.77||Chris Ratcliff (Ryback)||2015-11-09||f4m9-219.zip|
|UV -respawn||1:48.71||Blake Collins (Rayziik)||2023-04-20||e4m9r148.zip|
|UV Tyson||3:49.09||Radek Pecka||2002-12-05||t4m9-349.zip|
|NoMo 100S||0:16.69||Percy T||2020-10-21||e4m9os1669.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 26, 2023.
This level contains six spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 22)
- facing north. (thing 23)
- facing north. (thing 24)
- facing west. (thing 25)
- facing east. (thing 26)
- facing south. (thing 136)
This level contains the following numbers of things per skill level:
In multiplayer games it is possible to get stuck in the cage located at the centre of the southern egg-shaped area. This is because the switch to lower the cage walls is blocked by a short green pillar decoration that only appears in multiplayer. The only way for the stuck player to get out of the cage is to die and respawn elsewhere or if another player lowers the cage walls from outside of the cage.
- This is the only map of episode 4 not to be named after a biblical verse, though "fear" does appear as a word in the Bible a full 528 times.
- A screenshot from this level is used in the first level of Doom 3 in the Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 arcade game; it appears again in Demon Destruction in Doom (2016).
- E4M9 demos from the Compet-n database: UV speed • NM speed • UV max • NM100S • UV -fast • UV -respawn • UV Tyson • UV pacifist
- E4M9 demos at the Doom Speed Demo Archive