E5M1: Baphomet's Demesne (SIGIL)
E5M1: Baphomet's Demesne is the first map of SIGIL. It was designed by John Romero and uses the music track "Romero One Mind Any Weapon" by Buckethead as well as "Hate Machine" by James Paddock (Jimmy). The par time defined in the DEHACKED lump is 1:30.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
- 12 References
This level introduces a reoccurring theme in the episode: shooting the "Evil eye" decoration (or, technically, the wall behind it) will trigger a switch, raising platforms or doors for progression or sometimes opening secrets.
Other points of interest
- Once you shoot the first eye, the path ahead will open revealing a bridge above lava. Approaching the end of the bridge reveals another eye dead ahead. Shooting it expands the bridge eastward, but also raises a small ledge near the entrance to the first bridge, which goes northwest. Take this path into the cave to get a soul sphere. (sector 86)
- At the end of the previous secret, the path goes back to the bridges over lava. Instead of jumping back to the bridge, jump to the east onto the rocks here and enter the next cave to find a radiation suit (on Hey, Not Too Rough or lower, the radiation suit will be in the lava just south of the secret). (sector 93)
- With the radiation suit from the previous secret, head into the lava at the end and take the northeast tunnel all the way to the chaingun. (sector 221)
- With the radiation suit from Secret #2, head all the way to the southeast corner to get a computer area map, an ammo clip, and shotgun shells (the latter two do not appear on Ultra-Violence or higher). (sector 225)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
This level includes its own, separate deathmatch arena. There are teleporters at the northernmost and southernmost parts of the map that lead to the main part of the map but to access them, two different switches need to be pressed simultaneously - each one found near their respective teleporter. When the arena is left, a door near the COOP spawn of the map will open to allow combatants to re-enter the DM part.
This arena contains four spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 36)
- facing north. (thing 37)
- facing east. (thing 149)
- facing north. (thing 150)
|Box of bullets||1|
|Energy cell pack||1|
|Health & Armor||1-2||3||4-5|
Inspiration and development
- The word demesne (/dɪˈmeɪn/ di-MAYN) is an archaic English term for the sum of land retained by a lord of the manor for his own use or occupation. The word is shared with the title of the fifth episode of Heretic, The Stagnant Demesne.
- Craddock, David (12 April 2019). "Icon of Sin: Doom and the Making of John Romero's Sigil." Shacknews. Retrieved 25 May 2019.