E5M2: Rapids (Heretic)
|City of the Damned|
|The Dome of D'Sparil|
|Fate's Path (deathmatch only levels)|
From the start, turn right and fight the current to grab your Ethereal Crossbow, then fight your way down the falls. Pass the yellow door and head downriver into the brown cave passages. You'll soon pass the yellow key, but can't reach it yet. Continue following the river, going against the current as needed, to find a switch which lowers the key. The Gauntlets of the Necromancer are also in this area, off slightly to the side. With the yellow key, head back to the corresponding door and through. The switch reveals monsters, the Dragon Claw and a second switch. This switch lets you escape the room, but collect a Bag of Holding from the ambush chamber before you go.
Head back towards the switch that gave you access to the yellow key; the nearby bars have been removed now. Passing beyond, you'll find a larger underground waterway obstructed with some exploding pods. Follow the looping river to the north as it curves around to the weredragon-guarded ledge where the green key is stashed. With the key, drop down into the pod room and head through the green door, going upriver to a switch. This opens the bars on the other side of the pod room, and you can once again fight your way upriver to the ledge overlooking the yellow door. Drop down and return to the start. The corridor where you found the crossbow has risen into stairs leading to a blue trident pad. The fact that there's no glitter on this pad should make you wary; it's not an exit but a trigger that drops the walls and reveals disciples. Once you've hit this trigger, head back down and find the true exit now open.
- Near the ledge overlooking the yellow door, there are a couple of secret chambers marked with hanging skulls. One contains a Phoenix Rod, while the opposite contains Wings of Wrath. (sector 17)
- A side area off of the rivers beyond the pod room which opens after the green key has been collected and is noticeable by a shadowed overhang. Going here drops a lift leading to an Enchanted Shield. (sector 51)
- The lava chambers that are revealed as a side area after visiting the switch that lowers the yellow key. Extra Quartz Flasks, weapons and an Enchanted Shield can be found in this area. (sector 90)
- Across from the switch after the green door, there is a secret door to the left of the hanging skull. A Ring of Invulnerability can be found overlooking the lava chambers. (sector 94)
- Past the yellow door, in the ambush room with the barrels, the north side has a fake wall. Behind it is a Tome of Power and a switch which temporarily lowers a nearby lift. This lift takes you up to a ledge overlooking the lava chambers, with a Morph Ovum. (sector 155)
- Near the Shadowsphere in the cave off of the winding river past the pod room, a secret door is marked with hanging skulls. It leads to a Bag of Holding.
In case the Firemace has appeared at the level startup, you will find it from one of five different positions. In order of appearance, they are located:
- Center of the "armory" in the lava area.
- Northernmost point of the map after visiting the unofficial secret near the Shadowsphere.
- By the switch that lifts the pod room bars.
- Next to the Phoenix Rod/Wings of Wrath secret.
- Trigger pad that opens the exit.
Areas / screenshots
This level contains five spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 16)
- facing west. (thing 17)
- facing east. (thing 18)
- facing south. (thing 19)
- facing west. (thing 20)