E5M5: The Mansion (Doom: The Lost Episode)
|Doom: The Lost Episode maps|
E5M5: The Mansion is the fifth map of Doom: The Lost Episode. It was designed by Xaser and uses the music track "South of Heaven" by Robert Prince. The par time defined in MAPINFO is 3:00.
This level includes a secret exit to E5M9: The Marshes.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Take the shotgun behind you if needed then head up the staircase on your right and follow the ledge at the top round to a door on the right. Go through this door to a room with a caged Hell knight (or two on Ultra-Violence (UV) and Nightmare (NM) skill levels) then turn left and head through the door in the east wall. You will enter a room with rising and falling teleporters - when the teleporter directly in front of the door lowers, run into it to enter a hidden room adjoining the starting area. Run towards the wall in front of you and it will automatically lower as you approach; keep running forward and you should jump across a gap to a platform holding the blue skull key.
As soon as you get the key, turn left and drop off the platform you landed on then open the blue key door ahead and kill a demon waiting behind it. Follow the red floor here past some spectres, imps and pain elementals and it will eventually lead you to a staircase; climb the stairs and open the large door on your left when you reach the top. You will enter a room with many square columns, along with demons, imps and a pain elemental (plus knights on Hurt Me Plenty (HMP) skill level or higher). One of the columns holds the yellow skull key - to find it, stand by the south window and face north, then press the wall of the pillar closest to you (with a blue flag) to lower it and reveal the key.
Head back down the staircase and follow the red floor until it splits in two different directions - turn left and follow the red floor round a wooden structure (past two lost souls and other monsters) until you see a yellow skull bar in front of you, open this bar and press the skull switch in the passage behind a demon. Go back to the staircase, climb up it and then go down the other side - a metal block has opened here leading to an outdoor area. Turn left and approach the wooden square in front of you, then turn left and press the skull switch guarded by a pain elemental to lower the wood walls and reveal a maze of teleporters. You need to navigate this maze to reach the red skull key, but if you step on a wrong pad then you will be teleported to a nearby room with damaging lava; head towards the red-flagged wall in front of you to escape.
Start by stepping on the teleport pad near you with a candle (once you step on a correct pad it will light up to help you recall the route) then step south, east, south, south, south, east, east, north, north, east, north, west and west to reach a skull switch. Press the switch to lower the platform with the red key, then exit the maze either by retracing your steps or deliberately teleporting into the lava room. Backtrack to the room that had the caged knight (watching out for one or more knights that have appeared in the area with the red floor), but this time open the red key door in the west wall to confront two imps (or a knight on UV and NM) and press the switch behind them. Now head east through the door leading to the door with moving teleporters.
Go round to the east side of the room to a step that was previously blocked by red skull bars. Jump from here to the east teleporter when it lowers, and you will arrive on a staircase leading up to another red key door. Go through the door and kill three imps (plus a knight on HMP or higher), then step through the diamond-shaped hole in front of you to complete the level and go on to E5M6: Twilight Descends.
Refer to secret #7 below for information on reaching the secret exit to E5M9: The Marshes.
Other points of interest
In the room with the caged knight, open the south wall directly above the blood trench to find an armor. There is also a super shotgun next to this wall.
In the yellow key room, there are two columns at the north end of the room holding a plasma gun and a berserk pack. You can lower the columns by pressing the sides with blue flags.
- In the blue key room, get to the top of the south-east side and press on the south-east bookshelf to find a backpack. (sector 22)
- Open the blue door in the blue key room and in the hall that follows, look for a blue torch. Use it to lower a nearby wall to find a passage with rockets. (sector 68)
- Use the switch at the end of secret #2, grab the chainsaw (which is the secret), use the switch again to reveal a megaarmor, and use the switch a third time to leave to the east. (sector 90)
- Go through the blue key door and head east in the hall. Turn north and use the wall to the west to get stimpacks. (sector 107)
- Open the blue key door in the blue key room and head east in the hall. Turn south and open the wall to find an energy cell pack, a box of shotgun shells, a box of rockets, a rocket launcher and partial invisibility. Make sure you open this secret if you intend to get to the secret exit. (sector 109)
- After getting the yellow key, return to the north side of the mansion and open the yellow bar. Use the switch there, and you will notice the supercharge in the enclosed room has lowered. To get there, return to the room with rising and lowering teleporters and enter the one at the north side to teleport to the supercharge room. (sector 130)
- After you get the red key and have opened secret #5, use the switch behind the red door then head to the room with the rising and lowering teleporters. Get to the south-east side and fall into the lava towards the central structure. Use the corner there to reveal another switch. Use it, then quickly enter the teleporter here. You should be facing the east teleporter, which you need to run into (this may require you to time it so that this teleporter is lowering). After entering that teleporter, turn around and re-enter secret #5, pushing to the south-east. If you did it quick enough, you will enter the secret exit room. (sector 225)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed (normal exit)|
|UV speed (secret exit)|
|NM speed (normal exit)|
|NM speed (secret exit)|
|UV pacifist (normal exit)|
|UV pacifist (secret exit)|
The (absence of) data was last verified in its entirety on February 21, 2022.
This level contains seven spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 287)
- facing north. (thing 288)
- facing north-east. (thing 289)
- facing south. (thing 290)
- facing north-west. (thing 291)
- facing north. (thing 292)
- facing west. (thing 293)
This level contains the following numbers of things per skill level:
Inspiration and development
This level is based on MAP58: The Mansion from the Sony PlayStation version of Doom and has a largely identical layout, aside from changes to the secrets.