E5M7: Nightmare Underworld (SIGIL)
E5M7: Nightmare Underworld is the seventh map of SIGIL. It was designed by John Romero and uses the music track "Far 5" by Buckethead as well as "Watching You" by James Paddock (Jimmy). The par time defined in the DEHACKED lump is 13:00.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
- 12 References
Other points of interest
- At the start, open the wall in the northwest corner for shotgun shells and a switch. (sector 501)
- The switch in Secret #1 lowers a lift leading to a soul sphere. (sector 505)
- Enter the tunnels in the center of the map and go until you reach a cave with a stimpack (not on Ultra-Violence or higher), a green armor, a chainsaw (only on Hey, Not Too Rough or lower), and a box of shotgun shells. You can enter this tunnel complex from the room with lava by examining the broken wall with the cacodemon corpse behind it, just make sure to look back as soon as the path turns to the north. (sector 98)
- When you head outside from the tunnels in the center of the map, climb the rocks up, but do not go all the way to the top. When you are at the left side, you can jump through an opening down onto a rocky ledge. Go along this ledge to a cave containing some ammo and a soul sphere (or a backpack on Ultra-Violence or higher). (sector 314)
- In the same area as the previous secret, enter the lava which will cause a rock to the east to lower. Ride this rock as it goes up and drop off onto a ledge southwest of that rock. On that ledge, enter the cave to find a box of rockets. (sector 380)
- Outside of the central building, at the south side, head west across the lava towards the green armor. Since this secret is in a cave past lava, you will need some protection, so head north from the satyr switch here and collect the invulnerability. Afterwards, head west around the wooden structure and into the cave, waiting for the rock to lower. When it lowers, go across the lava to reach an energy cell pack, a soul sphere, a megaarmor (not on Ultra-Violence or higher), and a computer area map. (sector 817)
There are 2 untextured walls near the eye in the balance section, resulting in a Hall of Mirrors effect.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
This level includes its own, separate deathmatch arena.
This arena contains five spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 50)
- facing south-east. (thing 344)
- facing north-east. (thing 345)
- facing north-west. (thing 346)
- facing east. (thing 379)
|Box of bullets||1|
|Box of shotgun shells||1|
|Box of rockets||1|
|Health & Armor||1-2||3||4-5|
Inspiration and development
This map was the first map of SIGIL started by Romero, and it was originally intended to occur as E5M5.
- Craddock, David (12 April 2019). "Icon of Sin: Doom and the Making of John Romero's Sigil." Shacknews. Retrieved 25 May 2019.