The Foundry is the third level of Doom (2016). It is an integrated steel mill and as such is filled with hazardous molten liquid metal. The Praetor suit does not offer sufficient protection from the heat if the player comes in contact with the metal, and so it must be avoided. The third mission, Meltdown, takes place here after VEGA alerts the Doom marine and Dr. Samuel Hayden that the demons have shut down the cooling turbines and could cause a catastrophic explosion to occur.
The foundry is the primary processing location for heavy elements mined from areas surrounding the UAC Mars Base, including the Argent Fracture. Elements processed here, in particular transitional metals and noble gasses, are required for refinement of Argent plasma. The Foundry is a high risk area due to volatile materials and high-temperature metals, so workers assigned to it are given regular "med-checks."
As of 2146, employees exposed to hazardous materials began being sent to the Lazarus Labs for "cleansing," "re-education" and, where possible, "reintegration". This is stated to have resulted in a dramatic drop in official casualties.
Mission 03: Meltdown
After learning from VEGA that the foundry is about to experience a critical meltdown, the Doom marine travels there to reactivate the cooling turbines. On arrival at the foundry the marine finds that the turbine room is locked down due to a demonic incursion, which can only be lifted by destroying four gore nests in the area. After destroying all the nests, the marine proceeds to the turbine room and reactivates the turbines; they are then informed by Samuel Hayden that a primary control room has been activated nearby, where the marine finds Olivia rerouting all available power to the Argent Energy Tower to create a portal between Mars and Hell. Hayden explains that the system will not allow anyone but Olivia to shut down the tower, so it will have to be shut down manually from the surface; the marine travels to the Argent Facility to put this plan into operation.
- Stop the Meltdown
- Destroy the Gore Nests (0/4)
- Activate the cooling turbine
- Investigate the signal
- Shut down the Argent Tower
- Three Possessed, One Barrel
- Kill three of the possessed with one explosive barrel.
- Curb Stomp
- Perform three "Death from Above" glory kills on possessed soldiers (attack from above).
- Quite the Collector
- Find two collectibles. Refer to the "Collectibles" section of the walkthrough for more information.
|Combat support drones||1|
Areas / screenshots
While not listed as a mission objective, a blue access key and severed hand are required to access the locations of the gore nests.
- At QuakeCon 2016, producer Marty Stratton displayed a beta version of the level on a much earlier build of what was still considered id Tech 5, and mentioned that this level began as part of the original Doom 4 concept which was abandoned and rebooted. While undergoing massive revisions during the re-development of the game and being greatly expanded into its final, vastly non-linear layout in the process, this makes it one of the largest known surviving relics from the previous concept.
- If the Doom marine dies while standing in molten metal, they will give a thumbs-up as they sink below the surface. This is a reference to one of the final scenes of Terminator 2: Judgment Day, where the T-800 is lowered into molten steel and gives a thumbs-up as it is destroyed.
- There are several dead possessed, including possessed soldiers, that can be found throughout the level. It is unknown how these demons died.
- Bethesda (2 September 2016). "QuakeCon - Bringers of DOOM." YouTube. Retrieved 10 April 2017.
|Levels from Doom (2016)|
|Single player:||Site 03 • Resource Operations • Foundry • Argent Facility • Argent Energy Tower • Kadingir Sanctum • Argent Facility (Destroyed) • Advanced Research Complex • Lazarus Labs • Titan's Realm • Necropolis • VEGA Central Processing • Argent D'Nur|
|Multiplayer:||Argent Breach • Beneath • Boneyard • Cataclysm • Chasm • Disposal • Empyrian • Excavation • Heatwave • Helix • Infernal • Molten • Offering • Orbital • Outbreak • Perdition • Ritual • Sacrilegious|
|Classic levels:||Hangar • Nuclear Plant • Toxin Refinery • Command Control • Phobos Lab • Phobos Anomaly • Halls of the Damned • Tower of Babel • Slough of Despair • Pandemonium • House of Pain • Entryway • Underhalls|
|Rune trials:||Rune trial arena • Rune trial passage • Rune trial temple|