Frans P. de Vries (Xymph)
Frans P. de Vries (alias Xymph) is a webmaster, programmer, and system administrator who was an early anchor of the Doom community from its inception in 1993 up to 1999. In 2016 he returned as a Doom Wiki contributor.
Frans was the lead support person in the Usenet rec.games.computer.doom hierarchy of newsgroups and a member of the RGCD Support Team. Aside from answering individual user queries and some administrative duties, he authored the RGCD FAQ and Other 3D Games FAQ to provide answers to commonly asked questions and pointers to further information about Doom-engine and other games.
Frans acted as primary maintainer of the idgames archive from December 1995 to February 1997, and was occasional backup to Ty Halderman during the latter's period as maintainer. On the side, he also administrated the non-Doom related /idgames2 (for Quake) and /unreal archives, and still handles system administration for idgames, the gamers.org server, and all its other gaming archives. In February 2021, he developed the Idgames Upload form to enable uploading files to the archive via the website, after increasing community concerns about FTP access.
Frans was instrumental in obtaining permission for release of the alpha and beta versions of Doom to the idgames archive, where he appears as their uploader.
On Doom Wiki, besides manual contributions, Frans programmed a large number of bot scripts to automatically add and update pages for map series, check and improve consistency of existing map page content, upload map view images, find external links, and perform numerous other tasks.
Frans is the author of the following editing and source code utilities:
- DooM MaP StaTistics (DMMPST) - Generates statistics (map data, things, appearances) of Doom, Heretic, Hexen and Strife levels, including tables directly suitable for use in Doom Wiki pages.
- INFO.c to directly extract information from the mobjinfo, state, sprite and sound tables, suitable for filling thing Data tables on Doom Wiki. Also: generate various one-off tables, most notably pain chances and thing types. (DMINFO) - Four utilities (DMINFO, HTINFO, HXINFO and SFINFO) compiled against
- (DMPSMU) - Allows creation of PostScript files containing the maps of Doom and Heretic levels.
- textures and flats used in Doom and Heretic levels. (DMTXLS) - Generates cross-reference lists of
- demo statistics , a PHP library to collect
Other notable activities
Frans was a co-founder and the editor-in-chief of the now defunct 3dgamers.com site which, amongst other titles, had significant coverage of Doom- and Quake-engine games. He was a major contributor to the Wolfenstein 3D & Spear of Destiny FAQ. He is also a programmer, system administrator and former editor for Blue's News, and a dormant member of the TrackMania community.
- Frans' Homepage on gamers.org
- Archive of historic RGCD FAQ editions
- History of the DOOM ASCII logo
- Various Doom and Doom Wiki related scripts
|Maintainer of the idgames archive|
|Preceded by||Name||Succeeded by|
|Barry Bloom||Frans P. de Vries||Ty Halderman|
|Jim Pitts||Jeff Makaiwi|