Some monsters in Heretic (golems and undead warriors) can appear in a form of a ghost. These have the GHOST thing flag, which makes them translucent and unable to be hit by certain attacks which are defined as non-magical. Projectiles that cannot hit ghosts will simply travel through them as if nothing was there.
Additionally, the disciple of D'Sparil possesses the ability to flicker in and out of tangibility when preparing its attack, so a player might find a couple of their crossbow bolts going right through them.
The Shadowsphere temporarily confers all the benefits of the GHOST flag to the player when used. Monsters' aim becomes erratic when attacking ghosts, whether the targets were players with the Shadowsphere or ghost enemies engaged in infighting.
Immunities and vulnerabilities
Ghosts cannot be hit by attacks which have the THRUGHOST flag, including:
- Staff - Either mode
- Ethereal Crossbow - Small side bolts
- Phoenix Rod - Normal fireball (however, splash damage will harm them)
- Firemace - Either mode
- Undead warrior's green and red throwing axes
- Iron lich's ice ball (but the shards can hit them after it explodes)
They can be harmed by other attacks, such as:
- Gauntlets of the Necromancer
- Elven Wand
- Ethereal Crossbow - Center bolt(s)
- Dragon Claw
- Phoenix Rod - Powered-up attack
- Timebomb of the Ancients
- Most monster attacks, including undead warrior's melee strikes.
Iron lich tornadoes do not home in on ghosts.