Hell (Doom 3 level)
|Doom 3 maps|
|Map name: game/hell1|
Hell is the twentieth level of Doom 3. The player has lost all weapons and ammo while traveling via the teleporter at the end of the Delta Complex. The player must trek through Hell in order to defeat the Guardian (the game's second boss) and retrieve the Soul Cube. In the original version of the game, the flashlight is unavailable on this level (it is retained in Doom 3: BFG Edition, due to being part of the marine's armor). Due to an effect of Hell dubbed the "Hercules complex," the player has unlimited stamina here.
The marine finds himself in the middle of Hell. There is a teleporter but it is initially offline, unable to establish alignment. An evil voice welcomes the marine and says that the time has come for the forces of Hell to escape their prison and destroy mankind. The voice gloats that the marine will never escape nor will he find the Soul Cube.
All of the marine's weapons have been lost during the trip through the teleporter. Fortunately, there are supplies left behind by previous UAC expedition teams. The marine journeys through the labyrinths of Hell, battling the demons in their own territory. Despite the odds, the marine manages to reach the Soul Cube. Before he can retrieve the Cube, however, he must first defeat the Guardian of Hell.
During the battle, the Soul Cube informs the marine that he must destroy the Guardian's seekers to render the Guardian vulnerable. After defeating the demonic beast, the marine takes possession of the Soul Cube, which promises to aid him against the demons. A soul pillar teleporter back to the beginning of the level then opens. Returning to the entrance to Hell, the marine finds that the UAC teleporter is working again and uses it to travel back to Mars.
Before the marine teleports away, the Cube gives him a very important message: "We are the only way to destroy Hell's mightiest warrior."
- Malcolm Betruger (voice only)
The enemy count is the same on all skill levels.
1. Two of the Hell knights on this level have 700 health, instead of the regular 900.
2. Two of the mancubi on this level have 700 health, and four others have 600 health, instead of the regular 1000.
The item count on Nightmare is the same as on Veteran, except the med kits are absent.
* The backpack found at the very beginning of the map contains bullets (50) and shells (20). The backpack found in the Guardian's arena in the end contains ammo belt (60), cells (60) and rockets (6).
- There are some armor shard hidden in behind one of the walls in the area where the player first fights imps.
- There are quite a few items hidden behind the corners and in the dark throughout the level, which are hard to find because the player doesn't have flashlight in this map.
- Towards the end of map, the player finds a BFG cell among other items in a small area with iron bars around it. There a BFG 9000 hidden on a ledge behind a rock here. Beware, picking it up will spawn lost souls which can easily push the player out of the ledge into the void.
- When the player is about to go to through the teleporter that leads to the Guardian of Hell, before stepping in it, one can carefully walk around the teleporter's green beam and find a small hidden area with another BFG 9000 in it.
- On the original Xbox version of the game this level was divided into three parts.
- All of the weapons that were in the classic Doom games can be found in Hell (with the exception of the Super shotgun).
- Conversely, all weapons that were not in the classic Doom (flashlight, machine gun, grenades) are unavailable in this level (with the exception of the Soul Cube).
- At the beginning of this level, when you are caged and then dropped to the ground, you are instantly surrounded by three Imps and bits of ammo on all sides of you. This is very similar to the start of the first level of Episode 3 "Inferno" in the original Doom, which also has three Imps and ammo on all sides of you. (This is assuming that the difficulty setting is on "Ultra Violence" or "Nightmare".)
- According to the game files, there was originally suppose to be a PDA belonging to Joshua Hebert in this level.
- In the BFG Edition, the description of this level is the text of Revelation 6:17, For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?.