Hub 1: Brackenwood
|Hexen: Beyond Heretic|
|Map name: MAP46
Cheat code: visit06
Brackenwood is one of the offshoot maps accessible from Blight in the first hub of Deathkings of the Dark Citadel. The map includes multiple death wyverns, and is the only map in Deathkings to use this enemy. Killing the wyverns is not necessary to complete the map.
Travel up the stairs in front of you up into the south side of the tower like structure that is the centre piece of this map. You could have a peek out of the windows in the start area, but that leaves you open to a fire bombing. Travel around to the north end of the tower to find a switch. If you travel around the left side of the tower, note the currently blocked passage way to the centre of the tower.
Pressing the switch lowers stairs over at the east side of the tower that lead outside. It also unblocks access to the aforementioned passage. If you are playing as the fighter, you may to try to carefully jump across the raised platforms to get your third weapon at this point. It will become much easier to get later in the map, though.
Travel to the east side of the tower and note the symbol on the podium to the left of the stairs before you head outside.
You must travel around each quarter setting the symbol on each pedestal (in a preset order, you can't choose which order you do them in) to the same one as is on the podium by the stairs back into the tower and then press each pedestals switch to set them. All the while dodging wyvern breath.
Note that the symbol changes for the second and forth pedestals (the third will be the same as the first), so you'll have to return to the podium by the stairs to get the new symbol.
Once you have set the correct symbol on all four pedestals. The switch on the inside west side of the tower becomes functional. Pressing it will transform the statues in the middle into chaos serpents and a Dark Servant. It will also spawn a magic bridge leading up to the planet from the middle platform. Defeat the serpents and jump on the magic bridge to get the map’s planet, which you should take back to Blight.
Other points of interest
The south has an exit to Sump. You can get a fire mask early, but you need to have already flipped two switches in the other map before this portal connects to the main area.
The south east corner is an exit to Badlands. You can use this portal to bypass a puzzle on that map where you normally need to uncover and ring a bell.
Various locations on the perimeter of the map are closed until you defeat the corresponding death wyvern. They contain a few powerful items, but tend to have Dark bishops guarding them as well.
- Brown Chaos Serpent at (2016, -3696), near the badlands exit, is stuck in a rock.
- Brown Chaos Serpent at (2320, -3184) is stuck in a wall.
- There are a couple ACS scripts in this level that may break and cause the game to crash under various circumstances. Some of these include (but are not limited to) interrupting monsters from being spawned by scripts using inventory such as the Porkalator, or exiting the level before the scripts finish execution and then re-entering. This last situation can lock the player out of being able to proceed any further into the game if this level is still needed to be returned to in order to complete the hub, since the game will immediately crash upon re-entry.
Areas / screenshots
This level contains eight spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 9)
- facing north-west. (thing 59)
- facing south. (thing 60)
- facing north. (thing 61)
- facing east. (thing 715)
- facing west. (thing 716)
- facing north. (thing 717)
- facing north. (thing 718)
- The exit portal to Badlands is actually a lowered ceiling, activating when the player bumps into it.