The id Anthology was a collection released in 1996 by id Software and GT Interactive of all the games they had so far made. This not only includes all of the Doom games prior to Doom 3, but also Quake, Wolfenstein 3D and every game in the Commander Keen series. However, it does not contain Heretic and Hexen, which id co-developed with Raven Software. In total there are 19 games contained on four CDs.
The anthology is particularly prized by collectors, as it contains not only the games, but various collectible items. These are:
- The Book of id, a short book that details the history of id Software, written as a parody of Lovecraftian short stories.
- A poster
- An id Anthology phone card.
- Two dog tags with the id logo and the id Anthology logo
- A pewter Cyberdemon miniature.
- A black t-shirt with the id Anthology logo.
- The Doom comic.
The id Anthology is often found for sale on eBay, where it can reach hundreds of dollars in price. The value increases if the collection is complete; often, some or all of the collectible items are missing.
Only 10,000 copies of the id Anthology were sold.
There exist two versions of the Anthology. There are no obvious differences in packaging, but the rarer version contains different TNT.WAD and PLUTONIA.WAD where some bugs have been fixed, among a few other minor changes.