Impossible: A New Reality
|Impossible: A New Reality|
|This mod received one of the 2006 Cacowards on Doomworld in the Escher category!|
Impossible: A New Reality is a single-level PWAD for Doom II, authored by JK and designed for ZDoom. It won an Escher Award at the 13th Cacowards ceremony.
The map uses Hexen II textures and Derek MacDonald (Afterglow)'s Plantation Mansion texture pack. It includes an original title screen music track by Tim Fewell, and the map itself uses a MIDI cover of "Black Rose" from Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, sequenced by Saiyapimp.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Speedrunning
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
You begin in a patio. The action takes place in an Old Mansion on lava. The automap shows no lines. The level is full of "impossible" architecture, for example stairs that go up infinitely but go down only once. The impossible architecture is constructed with the use of the silent teleport trick.
The map includes one custom monster, a variant of the cyberdemon that is described as "Mister Cyberdemon" when it kills you. Its attributes like health and speed are the same as the regular monster, but upon its death the yellow skull key is dropped.
Other points of interest
- Grab the shotgun then go downstairs. Open an angel wall to wear the armor. (sector 464)
- Go in the blue key door room (cacodemons will come). Go back upstairs upon the lava then run back where the nearest cacodemon came from (you will climb up there) and find six stimpacks. (sector 1721)
- Up from the same stairs, fall in the lava and follow a passage. From here you will lower another catwalk and gain access to the backpack and the armor. (sector 1283)
- Once you followed the arrow, just run across the demon head for the rocket launcher and a box of rockets. (sector 1731)
- You will see a soulsphere in the next big outside room with four blood fountains. Check the bizarre ground between two pillars, go down and enjoy. (sector 1792)
- Follow down the lava river then grab the megasphere. (sector 2569)
- In the hall of mirrors and libraries, use the strange library, turn back and grab the megaarmor. (sector 2774)
Areas / screenshots
The stealth imps fountains
The end of the mastermind
Mister cyberdemon in a hall of mirrors
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are: