J.M.P van Waveren (MrElusive)
Jan Paul van Waveren (September 15, 1977 - January 31, 2017), born Johannes Marinus Paulus van Waveren, most frequently known as JMP van Waveren (along with several variant spellings of this name), and also by his handle MrElusive, was a game industry veteran beginning with his involvement in the development of the enhanced artificial intelligence system for id Software's 1999 game Quake III Arena, which involved the invention of the "Area Awareness System" (AAS for short). Though originally designed for the game's bots, it is now used by modern iterations of the id Tech engine for all entity path finding. Before his involvement with the game industry, van Waveren was involved in academic AI and graphics research, and even earlier, he was for a time a member of the online Doom community.
Van Waveren left id Software in late 2014, following John Carmack, to become a senior engineer at Oculus VR. He was an advocate for Vulkan, working extensively with Khronos Group on various projects such as glTF and a Khronos-approved VR Standard.
In February 2017, a few days after his passing, the Khronos OpenXR working group voted unanimously to adopt the Virtual Reality API Jan Paul had developed during the last few months of his life as the basis for the OpenXR standard.
- Quake III Arena (1999)
- Doom 3 (2004)
- Quake 4 (2005)
- Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (2007)
- Rage (2011)
- Doom 3: BFG Edition (2012)
- Wolfenstein: The New Order (2014)
- Doom (2016) (not credited by ZeniMax due to his departure from id Software in 2014)
- The Abyss
- MAP04: The Nunnery
- MAP05: Imp Madness
- MAP06: Not Level
- MAP08: The Theatre
- MAP09: Bloodstream
- MAP11: Stone Henge
- MAP13: The Library (with H2SO4)
- MAP14: Arabesque (with H2SO4)
- MAP16: The Grand Tower (with H2SO4)
- MAP17: Light And Darkness (with H2SO4)
- MAP18: Short 'n Sweet
- MAP19: The Pits Of Doom
- MAP20: The Cray (with H2SO4)
- MAP21: Heretic Factor (with H2SO4)
- MAP22: Basilica (with H2SO4)
- MAP32: Spider Bowl
- James, Paul (12 November 2014). "SDC 2014: Getting Started with the Oculus Mobile SDK, Liveblog @3pm PDT." Road to VR. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- Carmack, John (31 January 2017). https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/826531007381794817. Retrieved 31 January 2017.
- Antkow, Christian (2 February 2017). https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5rif0k/brendan_iribe_head_of_pc_vr_jan_paul_van_waveren/dd7oua8/. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- Everitt, Cass (28 February 2017). "Khronos GDC 2017 Presentation, Refocusing on VR Innovation." Retrieved 16 June 2018.
|id Software - Doom 3 era|