Josh Simpson (EarthQuake)
Josh Simpson (alias EarthQuake) is a member of the Doom community since mid 2003. He is most notable within the ZDaemon community as a forum moderator and IRC channel operator, but also as a WAD author.
Josh started playing Doom in 1993 and has been creating WADs since late 1997 with over 30 released WADs. He is also known for his DeHackEd work and WADs revolving around unique gameplay concepts. Perhaps his most notable contribution was to the ZDaemon CTF series, where he co-authored with several mappers, donated three of his own maps, and even led the project for some time after Alex Mayfield (AlexMax) resigned from his position. He is considered one of the most controversial mappers of the time, as much of his work is dubbed "love or hate" because the WADs are meant to appeal to only a small audience.
More recently, he was working on Doomvault.com, a personal repository for his works and many other Doom-related articles and tutorials. The site was in operation from 2000 to 2005, but underwent a change in design that set the site inactive.
Although a member of the clan Unidoom, Josh remains somewhat inactive as compared with his fellow members, but still manages to participate in ZDaemon affairs.
Body of work
- Afterhours ( )
- ZDaemon CTF Map Pack 2 ( )
- MAP14: Sanguinary Longshot
- MAP19: UAC Headquarters (with Johnathan Enright (SirTimberWolf))
- Exquisite Corpse ( )
- NoBlock ( )
- ZDaemon CTF Map Pack 3 ( )
- SargeBaldy Speedmapping Compilation #21 ( )
- The Great Bicycle Mystery 2 (
- Soundtrack for maps 08, 10, 29, and 30
- Toke It Up! (Official site)
- MAP15 (with Toke)
- Instamush, a modification that makes all players' attacks gib opponents instantly.
- The p0x Express, a deathmatch map showcasing realistic movement via scrolling textures.
- Rara Avis, a 3-level deathmatch mapset for Heretic.
- The Sewers of Death, a survival-style cooperative map for vanilla Doom.
- Terraces, a 1-on-1 deathmatch map.
- Z-Derby, a Doom racing modification.
...and many other older WADs going all the way back to 1997.
- Doompark, a full-fledged multiplayer amusement park.
- Imp Rush, a 10-level modification that lets players hunt fleeing imps.
- Rocket Space Jumping, a popular large-scale rocket jumping modification.
- Sinflux, an ambitious survival-style cooperative mapset.
- The Spirit of CTF, a Capture the Flag mapset featuring all of Josh's CTF maps.
- Doomvault (archived 🏛)