Gameplay still of KGZDoom running pol.wad, highlighting the support for various usable vehicles.
|Standard||Doom, Boom, Heretic, Hexen, Strife|
|Codebase||ZDoom Community Build|
|Initial release||2.0.96x (2005-05-28, 18 years ago)|
|Latest release||2.0.96x (2005-08-18, 17 years ago)|
|Target Platform||Windows, Linux|
|Available in||English (US), French, Italian|
|License||Doom Source License, 3-point BSD, others|
KGZDoom was a source modification of the ZDoom Community Build, version 2.0.96x. It introduced several new features that were considered too hacky to be included in the mainline ZDoom repository.
A first release appeared on May 28, 2005, implementing support for a class called A_RailAttack. Implementation of this allows particle flash effects to be made that operate in a random pattern. A later release in August implemented a flag called +DRIVABLE, allowing actors, monsters and other things to be drivable as if they were a vehicle. A demonstration WAD, called pol.wad demonstrates these additions.
The last release was on August 18, 2005.
- Rudimentary vehicle support for actors, monsters and other things through +DRIVABLE flag
- Particle flash light effects
- A duration toggle to determine how long particles should exist before fading out
The KGZDoom package includes a WAD called pol.wad. It features a demonstration map that includes the following:
- A very large open canyon with various height levels. Several vehicles can be found throughout the canyon
- Multiple turrets shooting plasma bursts, which can be entered
- Various Apache helicopters. You can fly these to great heights
- Several mechs that can be piloted
- The Crusader from Strife which can fly and travel at significant speeds and demonstrates the then new DECORATE weapon system through its flamethrower
kgsws attempted in April 2006 to get the +DRIVABLE flag included in GZDoom but was dismissed by Graf Zahl because of the hacky and unstable nature of the implementation. A later bump in May by a user on the ZDoom forums generated a similar response.
- First KGZDoom release forum thread
- Last KGZDoom release forum thread
- KGZDoom binary forum post
- KGZDoom binary mirror, hosted by DRD Team
- April 2006 thread to include DRIVABLE in GZDoom
- May 2006 post where Graf once more dismisses support for the DRIVABLE flag
|Source code genealogy|
|Based on||Name||Base for|
|ZDoom Community Build||KGZDoom||None|