|IWAD||Doom, Doom II|
Kick Attack! is a single-level PWAD designed by Tim Willits and released in 1996. The level was created as a promotional operation (similar to Chex Quest) by RC Cola to help establish the now-defunct brand of Kick soda. Graphic and sound replacements are used to change the setting: the demons are replaced by various intruders sent by "Alpine Spew" (an obvious parody of the more successful brand Mountain Dew) to sabotage a Kick bottling plant.
- 1 Content
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Speedrunning
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 See also
- 11 Sources
- 12 External links
In accordance to the theme, several things have been modified. These changes are cosmetic, only affecting visuals and sounds, but not the actor behavior.
- Surfer mutants
- These come in two varieties.
- Bald ones in red and gray wetsuits, with blue sunglasses, who hail you with "hey dude". They replace imps and shoot globs of Alpine Spew.
- Blond ones in yellow and gray wetsuits, with gray sunglasses, who can only say "spew". They replace sergeants and remain hitscanners.
- Lounge singers
- These has-beens roam around, trying to jab you with their microphone. They only know how to say "alright, baby", "take it, baby", and replace the demon.
- Flying bottles
- These two-liter bottles of Alpine Spew fly around, charge, and bite. They replace lost souls. Since lost souls and demons share their idle sounds, you can hear them say "take it, baby", too.
- Giant can of Alpine Spew
- A gigantic and vaguely anthropomorphic can, equipped with twin chainguns, this monstrosity replaces the spiderdemon and serves as the map's boss, guarding the exit switch.
Other points of interest
- (sector 236)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
This level contains ten spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 220)
- facing east. (thing 221)
- facing north. (thing 222)
- facing west. (thing 223)
- facing south-east. (thing 224)
- facing west. (thing 225)
- facing south-east. (thing 226)
- facing north. (thing 227)
- facing west. (thing 228)
- facing south. (thing 229)
Inspiration and development
The idea of a promotional Doom level for helping establish Kick! as a beverage for gamers came from the marketing firms Digital Marketing Associates and Dryden and Petisi Promotions, LLC. Besides Tim Willits, Jay Wilbur and Mike Wilson of id Software, as well as James Monroe of Raven Software, helped the production of this project.
The custom graphics were created by Dean Camastro, Anthony Verducci, and Paco Levine, with the Sisson Design Group being contracted for additional graphics.
- Enemy projectiles spell the word "SPEW" when they explode. Player missiles spell the word "KICK".