MAP01: Ambush (The Artifact)
|The Artifact maps|
MAP01: Ambush is the first map of The Artifact. It was designed by Paul Schmitz and uses the music track " ".
|This article about a map is a stub. Please help the Doom Wiki by adding to it.|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
Other points of interest
This level contains a 'recharge room' which contains 4 clusters of ammo (each cluster contains a berserk), but collecting a cluster blocks off an item elsewhere in the level (the clusters themselves become inaccessible if the items in question are taken). As a result, it is not possible to obtain both 100% items and 100% secrets simultaneously. As one of the berserks in the recharge room can be collected without jeopardising any other items or secrets, the maximum possible item percentage obtainable if 100% secrets is obtained is 76%.
- See Secret #5. This is the secret sector with the plasma gun inside. (sector 146)
- See Secret #5. This is the secret sector with the rocket launcher inside. Also if you were in the special secret room at the southern end of the map and got the supplies near the southeast corner of that room, this secret sector becomes permanently inaccessible. Likewise, grabbing the rocket launcher in this secret sector blocks off the supplies in the secret room. (sector 147)
- Navigate through the maze upstream from the river until you reach the brown-floored section at the northern part of the maze. Go to the western end here next to the differently-textured wall, but do not open it. Instead, look towards the computer panels and use them. One makes the lights go on in the corridor, while another opens a door in the same corridor. In the new room here, use the lift to go up. Up here is a medikit and a switch. Flipping the switch opens up a compartment with a soul sphere nearby as well as Secret #6. If, however, you went to the special secret room before reaching this secret and went onto the supplies near the southwest corner, the soul sphere becomes inaccessible. Likewise, actually picking up the soul sphere prevents you from getting those supplies in the secret room. (sector 156)
- At the other end of the river in the outdoor area at the start, go just north of the bridge to trigger a secret sector. This is actually a set of steps that rises after flipping a switch inside the maze upstream. (sector 176)
- At the far eastern end of the map is a circular room with a computer terminal up some stairs. Press on the left side of the terminal to open a door to the south, then use the blue wall there to reveal a lift into a new area. This area also has a terminal. Use both sides, and a door to the left will open up. Approaching the supplies in this blue room opens up three secret sectors with three different weapons, these being #1, #2, and #5. However, if you enter any of these sectors, the doors to these sectors all close, and you cannot open them again. This is, however, if you do not enter Secret #5 first. To do so, when the doors open in the blue room, go straight ahead to the chaingun and the marble wall. Open this wall to reveal a switch (as well as the actual secret sector). This switch reveals the blue key in the previous room, as well as two more switches that will re-open the other secret sectors, which can allow you to get all of the secret sectors here. These two switches are in the previous circular room, behind the northern and eastern lifts. These switches are one-time only switches, so make sure you get Secrets #1 and #2 properly after hitting these switches. (sector 292)
- Flip the switch in Secret #3 and take the lift back down. Go back through the corridor as if you were heading back, and there should be an opening nearby going east. This leads to the far eastern section of the map. (sector 489)
- Navigate through the maze upstream from the river until you reach the brown-floored section at the northern part of the maze. Go to the western end here and open the differently-textured wall to reveal a passageway. The nearby switch allows you to go back. (sector 556)
- In the outdoor area east of the fountain, walk into the water and to the southeast corner will be a switch. Use it, then make your way back to the top of the stairs as if you were going to the spider mastermind-cyberdemon room (make sure you have all the necessary switches pressed in order to access the room just before the steps to the spider mastermind-cyberdemon room). Just before this room will be a teleporter, which takes you to the backside of the prison areas you went to from before. An alternate yellow key is here, and if you take the teleporter, you will wind up close to the exit of the map. (sector 579)
- When you first head outside, open the wall that is next to the eye on your left side for a teleporter. This teleporter takes you into a special secret room, where near each corner are many supplies. However, if you step towards the supplies in the various corners, you make sacrifices towards other items and secrets in the level. For example, with this secret, you emerge into the secret room from the northeast side of the central pillar. If you get the supplies near the northeast corner, the plasma gun in the outside area past the river becomes inaccessible. However, if you go for the plasma gun before stepping onto the supplies, then the block where the supplies are on rises up, rendering them inaccessible instead. (sector 626)
- At the southeasternmost end of the dark maze upstream from the river is an eye in the corner. Open the wall at this corner to reach the special secret room from the southeast exit. If you go towards the supplies near the southeast corner, you will not be able to access Secret #2. (sector 628)
- At the northern end of the map is a computer terminal that does several things, namely opening the door nearby, granting access to the fountain, and revealing a switch later on. There is an eye in the same room, indicating another secret teleporter, allowing you to reach the special secret room from the northwest entrance. If you get the supplies from this corner, you block access to the fountain and if you step onto the fountain, you block off access to the supplies. (sector 631)
In the outdoor area, the blue door that is revealed on the right side of the building at the river has blue bars around it. However, it does not require the blue key to open.
Four floor lamps (things 155, 156, 157, and 158) are outside the map.
Areas / screenshots
The baron of Hell
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV max||9:41.91||Andrey Boldt (Hitherto)||2021-10-27||art1-941.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on December 1, 2021.
This level contains the following numbers of things per skill level: