MAP01: Attack (PlayStation Final Doom)
|PlayStation Final Doom maps|
Master Levels episode
MAP01: Attack is the first map of PlayStation Final Doom. It is a console version of ATTACK.WAD which was originally designed by Tim Willits. Changes for the PlayStation port were authored by Tim Heydelaar. It uses the music track "Bells Of Agony".
The level is set in an unknown base similar to a starport and is notable for its difficulty and presence of almost all weapons except the BFG9000.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
You start the level on the balcony of the southernmost part. A shotgun guy will see you right at the start but you can dodge it by strafing to the left. Obtain your first weapon, the shotgun, by killing the shotgun guy. Be careful, as there are more enemies inside: three shotgun guys (Not Too Rough skill level and lower), four shotgun guys (Hurt Me Plenty) and four shotgun guys and one chaingunner (Ultra-Violence). If you are playing on UV you can obtain the second weapon, the chaingun, if you kill the chaingunner. You can boldly make fire noise here, as all the enemies in this area are ambush and will only wake up on sight.
Now when everyone is killed in this room, collect the five shotgun shells in the upper-left (north western) corner of the room and two shotgun shells in the starting balcony if you have not done so yet.
The first keycard to get on this level is the red. Turn to the right (east) wall of the room and you will see a staircase with six health bonuses. Beware of another shotgun guy at the top of the staircase as it may not have woken up. Ascend the stairs, go forward and open the door to the right. Go to the northern door in the next room killing all the demons on your way. By opening the door kill another imp in the discovered room. This room is still dangerous, so before taking the red keycard kill all the enemies including a chaingunner and a shotgun guy. Take the keycard and do not forget the plasma gun and energy cells.
There are other ways to get this keycard:
- At the start of the level, use the lift to get up or use either of the two staircases (the latter is preferable, as you will be attacked from two sides if you use the former). At the top, walk around the upper (northern) wall, you will see an opening to the northern side, but before you enter this area kill the shotgun guys seen from here and after that descend down on the stairs to find a super shotgun. Go through the bottom opening and forward to a silver door. Open it and kill two shotgun guys inside. Exit through the brown door and open the metal bars, so you will be in the red key room.
- At the start of the level, face the western wall and open the brown door. Kill everyone inside and cross one of the two light beams. Doing this will open a trap with two (NTR and lower) or three (HMP and higher) imps and two stimpacks and a chaingun. Get the weapon and ascend the stairs. Be careful, as there are two (NTR and lower) or three (HMP and higher) enemies in the cage. Exit through the brown door at the top. Run to the other end of this hall toward the door killing all the enemies and you will be in the red key room.
Once you have the red key go to the western long hall. Open the door from its left part and kill both shotgun guys (doing so you can kill that enemies without waking up the enemies in the south side of this room). Now kill the imps and one spectre on the south side of the room. Be aware there are a chaingunner behind the wall and four lost souls in the bottom pit if your skill level is UV. Collect all the seen items in the room and take the blue keycard within the structure. This will open four traps each containing four imps (HMP and lower) or two imps and two chaingunners (UV). Note that the north and south traps both hold chaingunners on UV.
With the blue key head into the eastern hall which is similar to the western one but has a blue door instead of red. Again, open the door so you will be concealed from one enemy behind the wall and kill it with your shotgun or chaingun. Once both of them are dead head into the building or visit the left (north) and right (south) sides of the balcony to get items. Inside the building fight the enemies: two shotgun guys behind the columns (NTR and lower), a lost soul (HMP) or seven lost souls (UV). Take the yellow keycard and take the three rockets and rocket launcher before moving on.
Open the dark pillars in the yellow keycard room, so you can use the lift going down. At the bottom you will be outside. If you go left here you can find shotgun shells and a medikit. However, you will also encounter some dangerous enemies there. Anyway, go to the right (south) and keep going forward until you meet four teleporter pads. Before you use one carefully wall behind them and collect two stimpacks (if you need), three items of shotgun shell and a megaarmor. Enter one of the teleporters (all they lead to one area). In the next area be prepared for a fight with more enemies. This includes two revenants (only HMP and higher) who could see you earlier. Use the barrels to your advantage. Once done with them head behind the large building and prepare for another ambush: a shotgun guy (all skills) or a shotgun guy and a chaingunner (UV). Collect the shells and return to the yellow door. Before entering in you can find secret #1. Behind the door there are an exit switch and an enemy: a shotgun guy (NTR or lower), a chaingunner (HMP) or a revenant (UV). Prepare for a fight and when the enemy is killed do not flip the switch yet. Ascend on the stairs up and lower a lift, which will lead you to an imp and three health bonuses.
After that, flip the switch to exit the level.
Other points of interest
- Once you reach the final area with the yellow door, step back through the teleporter you came in. This will send you to a teleport pad hidden in the south part of the level. The south part of this teleporter structure counts as a secret but is sometimes hard to register. Carefully walk under and into the teleporter. (sector 98)
- Due to memory constraints, the lost souls' attack sounds will be incorrect in this map.
Comparison of versions
Some textures used on the PC—notably stone-type textures—are replaced with textures that are used throughout the map, giving a more coherent appearance. Rooms are generally darker.
- Some staircases have fewer steps, similar to many other console levels.
- All keycards are placed on raised platforms and have matching colored lights.
- The starting area is surrounded by low walls instead of brown grates.
- The windows in the water-filled central area contain two columns each, instead of three.
- Tech textures are removed from the room with the red keycard.
- The elevator in the yellow keycard room is surrounded by fewer pillars.
- The eastern and northern outdoor areas are surrounded by bronze walls, instead of light-brown ones.
- The teleporter in the northern outdoor area is surrounded by brick walls, instead of white ones.
- The lamps in the exit room now have randomly blinking lights.
- Zombiemen are replaced with shotgun guys, making the start of the level harder.
- Hell knights are replaced with revenants, and the mancubus in the northern outdoor area on HMP/UV is replaced with two revenants.
- Pain elementals are replaced with different numbers of lost souls. The elemental in the water-filled central area on UV is replaced with seven lost souls, and the elemental guarding the yellow keycard on HMP/UV is replaced with five lost souls on UV and one on HMP.
Areas / screenshots
This level contains six spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 28)
- facing south. (thing 42)
- facing south. (thing 43)
- facing east. (thing 44)
- facing east. (thing 45)
- facing north. (thing 46)