MAP01: Entryway (Doom II)
|Doom II maps 01-11|
Jump down from the ledge. Enter the corridor in front of you, head east at the first bend and go south at the next. Enter the door in the northeast corner of the next room and flip the switch.
Other points of interest
At the very start of the map, before dropping down to the floor, head southwest to access a partially open-air area and get a chainsaw.
In the northeast of the winding corridor, there is a room containing eight health bonuses.
- In the northern blue room, flip the eastern switch. A compartment will open in the northeast corner of the room, containing a suit of armor and two stimpacks. (sector 41) Toggling the opposite switch will cause both switches to sink into the ground, allowing the zombiemen's clips to be acquired. If you do this first, you can still open the secret by pressing the use key where the eastern switch was formerly located.
- In the large room at the end, toggle the switch on the western wall to activate an elevator. At the top, open the back wall of the elevator to reveal another switch. (sector 8) Flip it to open a door in the southeast leading outside.
- From secret #2, jump east across the square platform below. A compartment containing a rocket launcher will open behind the health bonuses out in the hallway. (sector 57) You do not have to jump onto the platform; all that is required is that you jump over the platform's western side. (linedef 242)
- After activating the switch in secret #2, head outside through the door that opened in the southeast. To the west is a shotgun and 4 shotgun shells. (sector 17)
- In the big room, one side of the eastern wall is perfectly straight. At the northern end of the wall is a cage containing an imp. Open the other end of the wall to find a stimpack. (sector 28) On Hurt Me Plenty or higher, two imps will exit the secret if you fire your weapon inside the room or at the end of the corridor that leads into it.
The door of secret #5 (sector 29) has FLOOR5_3 as its floor flat instead of the adjacent RROCK09.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-N records for the map are:
|UV speed||00:05||Thomas Pilger (Panter)||1998-03-30||lv01-005.zip|
|NM speed||00:05||Thomas Pilger (Panter)||1998-09-27||nm01-005.zip|
|UV max||00:39||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2006-03-14||lv01-039.zip|
|UV -fast||00:40||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2006-06-07||fa01-040.zip|
|UV -respawn||00:41||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2006-03-01||re01-041.zip|
|UV Tyson||00:41||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2006-06-02||ty01-041.zip|
|UV pacifist||00:05||Thomas Pilger (Panter)||1998-10-03||pa01-005.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on October 18, 2012.
- The behind-the-start bonus also contains a super shotgun, a rocket launcher and a BFG9000.
- Another BFG is located to the left of the west pillar at the starting area.
- A chaingun is added in the main corridor.
- A super shotgun is found in the blue-floored room.
- The rocket launcher in secret #3 has a nearby ammo pack.
- The plasma gun is found in the large room at the end of the level, on the platform you must jump across to open secret #3. Outside of some source ports, it is possible to acquire it without using the elevator by straferunning into it from the side.
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 59)
- facing north. (thing 60)
- facing north. (thing 61)
- facing north. (thing 62)
Inspiration and development
An early version of MAP01 released in 2015 shows several notable differences from the final version. The most immediately apparent is the existence of an entirely different starting area, with the player beginning in an anteroom filled with computer kiosks, and only after passing through the room and a short hallway, coming upon the more familiar overlook of the triangular staircase. The early version of the level also has some different texture work, with the northernmost room being textured more in the style of Knee-Deep in the Dead.