MAP01: Hangar (Console Doom)
|Console level navigator|
|All Jaguar-based ports|
MAP01: Hangar is the first level of most console versions of Doom, based on the original E1M1: Hangar with modifications made to accommodate consoles' framerate and storage capacity limitations. The author of the conversion is American McGee, and the original author of the map is John Romero. The map first appeared in Atari Jaguar version, and is additionally used in the 3DO, Sega 32X, Game Boy Advance, Sony PlayStation, and Sega Saturn versions. The Sony PlayStation version introduces additional modifications to add colored lighting, translucent textures, and reverberation effects.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
The path toward the exit on this level is straightforward enough. Go to the northern end of the starting room and you will eventually come to the first door. Enter this door to enter the central computer room. To the right (south east) of this room is the escape, go there. You will enter a room with nukage and zig-zag bridge guiding you to the second door. Enter this door and you will be in the last room where the last door is located. Behind the door is the exit switch.
Other points of interest
- In the south end of the zig-zag room near the door there is a wall having grey color rather than tan. Push it and you will discover a secret corridor which will lead you to the outside area (sector 29) with nukage pool and megaarmor upon it. Be cautious when taking this item.
- Return to the door in the zig-zag room and visit the room behind. Return to the zig-zag room again and step on the zig-zag bridge. To the right the grey platform has lowered allowing you to enter a secret room. (sector 31) In this room you can find shotgun, items and a former sergeant on hard skill level.
- This secret can be found in the same room of secret#2. To access it go back to the entrance of the zig-zag room. Step on the shadow and quickly run back to the room. Step on the lowered lift (sector 43) and you will be in a tunnel with several armor bonuses and a box of shells. The bonuses will give you 4% of armor each.
In the PlayStation release, the sound data for lost souls spat from pain elemental is never loaded into memory on this map resulting in silent attacks of the monster (the death and the pain sounds are still preserved, with the former being identical to any projectile hit and the latter being pain state sound of the pain elemental).
Comparison of versions
Console versions of Doom had several removals done on this level; aside from geometry, these include things.
Two pillars in the armor room were removed entirely along with the technical columns on them. Armor bonuses were removed, but health bonuses have been retained. Also, the entrance room was widened a bit.
The window textures in the room leading to the exit room were replaced with blocking sectors. The secret hallway that loops back into the poison room is now visible from the poison room, as in the PC version there was a texture blocking visibility.
The PlayStation port adds some new enemies to the map on the Ultra-Violence skill level:
- A former human standing in the corridor between the first door and the starting room. Can be seen right at the start.
- A chaingunner in the computer room replacing one of the shotgunners. This means the player can obtain both the shotgun and chaingun during the first level.
- A pain elemental in secret #3.
Areas / screenshots
Atari Jaguar screenshots
Sega 32X screenshots
Sega Saturn screenshots
Game Boy Advance screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Atari Jaguar||"The Imp's Song"||Robert Prince||Only plays in the intermission screen after the map is completed.|
|3DO||"At Doom's Gate"||Robert Prince||Re-orchestrated version played by live band|
|Sega 32X||"At Doom's Gate"||Robert Prince|
|Game Boy Advance||"The Imp's Song"||Robert Prince|
|Sony PlayStation||"Retribution Dawns"||Aubrey Hodges|
|Sega Saturn||"Beyond Fear"||Aubrey Hodges|
This level contains five spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 42)
- facing north. (thing 43)
- facing south. (thing 44)
- facing north-west. (thing 45)
- facing south. (thing 46)