MAP01: Hangar (Console Doom)
|Console level navigator|
|All Jaguar-based ports|
MAP01: Hangar is the first level of most console versions of Doom, based on the original E1M1: Hangar with modifications made to accommodate consoles' framerate and storage capacity limitations. The author of the conversion is unknown and the original author of the map is John Romero. The map first appeared in Atari Jaguar version, and is additionally used in the 3DO, Sega 32X, Game Boy Advance, Sony PlayStation, and Sega Saturn versions. The Sony PlayStation version introduces additional modifications to add colored lighting, translucent textures, and reverberation effects.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Navigation
The path toward the exit on this level is straightforward enough. Go to the northern end of the starting room and you will eventually come to the first door. Enter this door to enter the central computer room. To the right (south east) of this room is the escape, go there. You will enter a room with nukage and zig-zag bridge guiding you to the second door. Enter this door and you will be in the last room where the last door is located. Behind the door is the exit switch.
Other points of interest
- In the south end of the zig-zag room near the door there is a wall having grey color rather than tan. Push it and you will discover a secret corridor which will lead you to the outside area with nukage pool and megaarmor upon it. Be cautious when taking this item.
- Return to the door in the zig-zag room and visit the room behind. Return to the zig-zag room again and step on the zig-zag bridge. To the right the grey platform has lowered allowing you to enter a secret room. In this room you can find shotgun, items and a former sergeant on hard skill level.
- This secret can be found in the same room of secret#2. To access it go back to the entrance of the zig-zag room. Step on the shadow and quickly run back to the room. Step on the lowered lift and you will be in a tunnel with several armor bonuses and a box of shells. The bonuses will give you 4% of armor each.
Comparison of versions
Console versions of Doom had several removals done on this level, aside from geometry these include things.
Two pillars in the armor room were removed entirely along with the technical columns on them. Armor bonuses were removed, but health bonuses have been retained. Also, the entrance room was widened a bit.
The PlayStation port adds some new enemies to the map on the Ultra-Violence skill level:
- A former human standing in the corridor between the first door and the starting room. Can be seen right at the start.
- A chaingunner in the computer room replacing one of the shotgunners. This means the player can obtain both the shotgun and chaingun during the first level.
- A pain elemental in secret #3.
Areas / screenshots
Atari Jaguar screenshots
Sega 32X screenshots
Sega Saturn screenshots
Game Boy Advance screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Atari Jaguar||"Imp's Song"||Robert Prince||Only plays in the intermission screen after the map is completed.|
|3DO||"At Doom's Gate"||Robert Prince||Re-orchestrated version played by live band|
|Sega 32X||"At Doom's Gate"||Robert Prince|
|Game Boy Advance||"Imp's Song"||Robert Prince|
|Sony PlayStation||"Retribution Dawns"||Aubrey Hodges|
|Sega Saturn||"Beyond Fear"||Aubrey Hodges|