MAP01: La Muerta Island (Avactor)
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
From the starting ship, fight your way up the stream and past the pyramid to the south stairs. A switch at the southern end of the waterway releases an ambush and opens the bars north of the waterway. Head north through the doorway and into the pillar room. Activate the switch and step on each of the three rising pillars to trigger an ambush. Collecting the blue skull key will cause the pillars to start crushing, which may help dispatch the ambushers, and open the exit.
Use the blue skull key to retract the bars north of the entrance stream and trigger an ambush. Continue through several more ambushes to the hall of pillars. A switch at the western end of the hall lowers the bars blocking progression and a rocket launcher on a pillar. In the berserk room, attempting to climb the stairs triggers an ambush. Pressing switches in the alcoves triggers two more ambushes and restores the stairs. Climb the pyramid for the red skull key and another ambush.
Return to the south side of the pyramid and use the red skull key to raise stairs. Climbing the pyramid will teleport you to the northwest corner of the map. Fight your way downstream to the exit ship. A teleporter in a cave leads back to the hall of pillars.
Other points of interest
- At the level start, a path to the right leads to an optional crusher maze. (sector 3020) Completing the maze (hint: automap) provides an early rocket launcher.
- At the level start, a cave to the left has a switch behind a false mask. (sector 3140) The WAD's first backpack is your reward.
- A chainsaw is hidden behind a waterfall at the top of the entrance stream. (sector 1516)
- A blood-marked wall in the southern waterway hides a switch. Activating it raises stairs in the corner, accessing a teleport to the soulsphere above. (sector 2806)
- Past the southeastern door, a small path to the left leads to a backpack. Continue on the waterfall ledges to reach an impaled man. A false wall hides a secret area with a switch to lower a mega armor. (sector 3431)
- In the eastern pillar room, a southern wall lowers with the pillars, yielding a box of rockets. (sector 2700)
- In the hall of pillars, a switch on the backside of a pillar lowers a wall. (sector 2927) Past the crushers, a teleport leads to a ledge overlooking the entrance, some bullets, and a switch back to the entrance stream.
A lost soul (Thing 1259) in one of the monster caches has no flags set for any of the three difficulty classes, so it does not actually appear in the level. It is at the same spot as a cacodemon on skills 3-5, so probably was intended to appear on skills 1-2.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.