MAP01: Paradox (Master Levels)
Paradox is a map that is part of the Master Levels for Doom II. It was designed by Tom Mustaine, and is contained in the file PARADOX.WAD. In PlayStation Final Doom port it is the tenth level and uses the music track "Breath Of Corruption".
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
The yellow key is located in the northernmost part of the map. To get there use the eastern staircase near the beginning of the level (A). Proceed until you reach the balcony with several metallic columns. Open the door. Go past the long hall with columns to the end (B). In the room (C) grab the yellow key.
Getting access to all the other keys
Open the yellow key door in the western side of courtyard where you have began this level. Once you enter and try to approach the other end of the room the door containing the baron of Hell will open. Flip the switch that is accompanied by two blue torches. Flipping the switch lowers the bar that blocks way to the room with three teleporters in castle-like building in center of the courtyard. Leave the room you are in and go inside that building. Then walk the staircases and enter that room with a plasma gun and the teleporters. You don't need to enter the middle one as it leads to the room containing no key but a berserk pack. Enter any of two teleporters except of the middle one. When you enter you will be in a tower with a corresponding key and a trap with teleporting monsters.
Making way to the exit
The exit is located near the beginning of the level - in the eastern part of the map. Find the place with three columns. Open the bars that block entrance of the south-eastern tower then use lift leading inside. Now jump over to the alcove containing exit switch.
Other points of interest
- Inside the central structure with three teleporters (first, you need to make it accessible) open a wall at the south-western corner. Walk around the border until you meet and take the medikit. (sector 72)
- When you walk upstairs in the beginning of the level (A), lower the third column containing soulsphere. (sector 105)
- The border of the secret #1 you walk on is counted as secret. (sector 107)
- In the very south-eastern portion of the map nearby the exit there is a fake wall. Walk through it and downstairs. In the cave (sector 140) grab a megasphere. Beware of the arch-vile (or three chaingunners in PSX version).
- The first step of secret #4 is counted as secret. (sector 141)
- The third step of secret #4 is counted as secret. (sector 142)
- The secret is situated in outside area in the northern part. To get there, in the room where yellow key is/was (C), lower a stand with green flame. Lowering will temporarily lower two walls containing buttons on either sides behind you. Each button unlocks the corresponding wall leading outside (you do not have to press them all): The first way is opened in the western side of the long column hall (B), the second one is in the room of four red and blue torches before you enter long hall, which can also be opened from that side. When you are outside (sector 214) kill zombies to get ammo clips from them. You can get BFG9000 in the hidden alcove in the north.
One rocket launcher and some ammo are placed into a room with a deathmatch start thing which is inaccessible during normal gameplay. These items are not flagged as multiplayer-only, so they always appear.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the original map on the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
This level contains ten spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 41)
- facing west. (thing 109)
- facing north. (thing 195)
- facing east. (thing 196)
- facing south. (thing 197)
- facing west. (thing 198)
- facing north. (thing 214)
- facing east. (thing 230)
- facing west. (thing 310)
- facing south. (thing 315)