MAP01: The Fistula (Master Levels)
The Fistula is a map that is part of the Master Levels for Doom II. It was designed by Christen Klie, and is contained in the file FISTULA.WAD. In the PlayStation Doom port, it is the sixth map of the first episode and uses the music track "The Foulness Consumes".
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
In the starting place, open the northern door (in fact, these are lifts masked as doors). At the intersection, head to the east and forth to the lift. Descend to the very bottom and go to the south. Head to the west and beware the trap of teleporting monsters. Use the lift, head to the south, come around and go to the very end at the east. Walk upstairs to the arrow that points to the wall. Open the wall and head to the area with nukage in the middle. Carefully walk around the border of the pit. If you fall, you cannot get out. Enter the teleporter. In the starting area, the teleporter with the yellow key has lowered. Take the key. You will be teleported back to the area with the nukage pool.
There are two ways to get the blue key. The first one described below is shorter, but you need to do a grab.
- In the nukage pool room, re-enter the teleporter and return to the intersection. Use the northern way and open the yellow door. Straferun to get the blue key.
- Go past the nukage pit again. Press the metal wall in front of you to enter a lift you used recently. This time, exit to the north and proceed to the stairs. On the top, enter the large section that lowers as a lift. Press the switch at the area's eastern end and move to the opposite end. Go up the stairs and open the yellow door in the outdoor area. Have the blue key.
The key room also contains much ammo.
At the intersection, use the western way. Open either blue bar in the south or north and walk upstairs. Take the red skull key.
Come back to the starting area and use the eastern door (the lift, more precisely). Press the green button in the west of the room to lower the platform. Get to the tall room with three columns and a staircase. Go outside, walk around and use the red key door in the east. Beware the arch-vile in the exit room. Press the switch.
Other points of interest
- At the foot of the staircase to the east of the blue key room, a wall segment in the south differs noticeably in appearance from the others. This is a secret door that requires the red key. Once you obtain it, open this door to find a room with a megasphere guarded by former humans. (sector 107)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|NM 100S||1:56.97||Jean-Charles Dorne (JCD)||2021-07-08||fisns156.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on January 15, 2023.
This level contains six spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 154)
- facing north. (thing 155)
- facing west. (thing 156)
- facing west. (thing 157)
- facing north-west. (thing 158)
- facing south-west. (thing 159)
This level contains the following numbers of things per skill level:
Differences between PC and PlayStation versions
- The green nukage was replaced with brown slime in the eastern pit.
- In the same area, a button for getting out from the pit was added.
- Secret #1 no longer requires the red key to enter.
Inspiration and development
- The large diamond-like staircase is an inspiration of the similar structure seen at the start of MAP01: Entryway (Doom II) and the outside area in the south-east has similar texture theme as of MAP01: System Control (TNT: Evilution).
- In medicine, a fistula is an abnormal connection or passageway between two epithelium-lined organs or vessels that normally do not connect.