MAP02: Plant (Console Doom)
|Console level navigator|
|All Jaguar-based ports|
MAP02: Plant is the second level of most console versions of Doom, based, as a renamed level, on E1M2: Nuclear Plant with modifications made to accommodate consoles' framerate and storage capacity limitations. The author of the conversion is American McGee, and the original author of the map is John Romero.
The map first appeared in Atari Jaguar version, and is additionally used in the 3DO, Sega 32X, Game Boy Advance, Sony PlayStation, and Sega Saturn versions. The Sony PlayStation version introduces additional modifications to add colored lighting, translucent textures, and reverberation effects. Both the Sony PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions feature extra enemies not found in the other console versions.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
The level is not far different from PC version except texture theme design. Technically, the geometry remains very similar.
You start in a large room with a structure in the center and three doors in the west and the east of the room. The western door requires red key, so you cannot proceed but the other two doors on the east side do not require keys. Use any of them and they will lead you to stairs. Ascend the stairs to a room at the top. Knock off everyone here and grab the keycard. Backtrack to the starting room.
As explained above, the door at the west of the starting room requires the red keycard, which you already possess. Open it to reveal a long corridor spanning a nukage room to the right (north) and another staircase (west). Go up on the stairs that will lead you to another nukage room. Carefully walk on the ledge to not being hurt by nukage, at the same time collecting health bonuses. Use the lift to go down (note: secret#6 is found here). Knock off the enemies and flip the switch in the room. This will open two passageways to the left and to the right. Both lead to one place but the one to the right is the fastest. Once you will be in a staircase room go toward the seen exit door. Kill the enemies here and flip the switch to finish the level.
Other points of interest
If it is the pistol start you can still obtain shotgun and armor. Enter the structure at the center of the level and go to a room to the left. Use the lift, on hard skill level fight an imp and take the shotgun and ammo for it (depending on the skill level, it may be either box of shells or 4 shotgun shells). Now, go back into the central structure and move to the north of the room (opposite to the starting point). You will discover an opening and a green armor lying at the right corner. If you are playing Sony PlayStation or Sega Saturn ports and your chosen skill level is high, you can even obtain a chaingun right in this room without visiting secret#2. Kill a chaingunner and take his gun.
Once you found the red key, open the red door in the starting area. In the long corridor head to the right (north) and you will enter a nukage hall. Quickly step on the central ledge and go behind the pillar. Search for a switch on this pillar and flip it. Go back to the corridor near the door you entered and you will see an area open. This is meant to be the maze. Explore it for enemies to kill, items to collect and secrets #3 and #4 as well (though, it may appear too dark in some console versions).
- The first secret can be found right in this room. At the start turn right and go around the central structure. Face west and you will discover a tan part of the wall. Push it to find a secret room (sector 48) with a medikit, another green armor, the very first backpack and a switch to access secret#2.
- Once you flipped the switch in secret#1 go back to the starting area and take any door at the east (but the north eastern one is recommended). Walk on the stairs and you will see an opening (sector 31) to the outside area. (sector 1) Go there and kill enemies that populate this area (if present). Venture around the building toward south, and you will find a single armor bonus, the first soulsphere, a chaingun and boxes of ammo.
- See secret#2.
- Once you access the maze (see above) go to the eastern part of it. A wall has two metal beams between. Push this wall to find the second backpack (the first is found in secret#1). (sector 89)
- Now venture through toward west of the maze until you find a low-ceiling room. Shoot a wall to the west to open it. Enter inside (sector 188) and walk on the stairs until you find a room. To get the chainsaw on the pillar atop flip the switch at the opposite side of the room. Wait the pillar to "melt" down and take your first chainsaw in the game.
- Once you access secret#5 you can find this one while climbing the stairs to the chainsaw room. In the staircase room push a wall to the east (sector 170) and you will find four armor bonuses, which will give you 8% of armor in total.
- Behind the red door is the long corridor with the staircase leading to the second nukage room. Go to that room and walk on the ledge with health bonuses which leads you to a corridor with the lift that goes down and three medikits. Push a wall to the left, and you will be able to visit one of the imp ledges and take the bonuses. (sector 129)
Comparison of versions
- The three columns in the starting area are of square shape instead of round.
- Chainsaw room has two windows instead of three (the two windows to the left were actually merged into one).
- Computer terminal to the extreme north of the starting position has lowered floor making it able to be entered in. The green armor that lied on the edge of the terminal in the previous map version was replaced into the corner to the right of the terminal.
- Outer border of secret#2 has its floor adjacent and totally indistinguishable to the neighboring sector, so it is only serves in purpose to make outside walls lower than the walls of the building.
- As a result of inattentive texture trimming, the warning signs on the green walls clash against the tan walls in the nukage room in the Sony PlayStation and Saturn versions only (in the hub connecting the downward lift room and the large staircase after the red door). This aesthetic issue is not present in the other console versions, since there were instead green textures that fit well together.
Areas / screenshots
Atari Jaguar screenshots
Grab the shotgun and cock it.
Sega 32X screenshots
Sega Saturn screenshots
Game Boy Advance screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Atari Jaguar||"Kitchen Ace (And Taking Names)"||Robert Prince||Only plays in the intermission screen after the map is completed.|
|3DO||"The Imp's Song"||Robert Prince||Re-orchestrated version played by live band|
|Sega 32X||"The Imp's Song"||Robert Prince|
|Game Boy Advance||"Dark Halls"||Robert Prince|
|Sony PlayStation||"The Broken Ones"||Aubrey Hodges|
|Sega Saturn||"The Broken Ones"||Aubrey Hodges|
This level contains ten spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 191)
- facing east. (thing 192)
- facing south. (thing 193)
- facing east. (thing 194)
- facing east. (thing 195)
- facing south. (thing 196)
- facing east. (thing 197)
- facing west. (thing 198)
- facing south. (thing 199)
- facing north. (thing 200)