MAP02: Sunlight Source (Avactor)
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
Head up the stairs to meet the new mechanical turret enemy. Take the middle elevator up to the temple exterior, and fight downstream to the watery courtyard. An opening to the northeast leads to a small fortress. Use the switch to raise the bridge across, then open the central door. Fight your way down the steps on the right and use a switch in one of the cells to lower the central columns, revealing a teleporter. Take the teleporter to a room with several switches and use them to open the rest of the fortress. Go back through the teleporter, up the stairs, and turn around to take the left branch of the fortress. Turn left at the intersection and exit the fortress.
Cross the bridge over the exit waterway and step on the floor-tile trigger to launch an ambush. Continue across the blood bridge, where another ambush awaits. Pressing the switch teleports you to a nearly-identical room. When you return to the blood room, the bridge falls, leaving you two paths--a dead-end containing a mega armor and the exit, both with crushers. Note this area cannot be re-entered, so if you want the armor you must collect it now.
The path emerges back at the side of the temple, and the bars downstream on the right have been drawn. Heading downstream triggers another ambush. Take the right passage to a columned courtyard fronting a temple. The switch lowers the bars at the temple steps (and triggers an ambush, of course). Attempting to climb the temple, however, causes the stairs to collapse, forcing you to detour through a western archway. After a rather straightforward climb, you end up in an alcove overlooking the back of the temple. Jump across and carefully proceed around the temple to the main steps. Head through the doorway, across the bridge, and into a cave where the yellow skull key malevolently awaits.
Return to the main temple and use the yellow skull key to activate the switch inside. Across the watery courtyard, drawn yellow bars allow access to an island with a switch which lowers the red skull key. Return to the courtyard and proceed down the steps to collect the red skull key. After the surprise lava brawl, flip the switch for stairs back up to the courtyard. Use the red skull in the temple to claim the blue skull key. Use the blue skull to retract the exit bars and head downstream to an exit ship.
Other points of interest
- Inside the fortress door, an alcove to the right opens containing a backpack. (sector 3337)
- After grabbing the berserk pack, an armor bonus indicates a hidden elevator. (sector 3213) The reward is an invisibility and an ambush.
- After completing secret #2, a switch on the far wall lowers the soulsphere platform nearby. (sector 1298)
- Near the fortress exit, a suspicious wall on the right opens to reveal a mysteriously-lit idol and a backpack. (sector 3370)
- A switch on the backside of a stone pillar in the area overlooking the exit waterway lowers a lift. (sector 2408) Your reward is an ambush, a ledge overlooking the exit bars, and a switch leading to another ambush in the temple sump.
- In the columned courtyard, the northwestern finger of the water drops when you collect an armor bonus, unleashing an ambush. An elevator takes you up to a ledge overlooking the courtyard and a plasma gun. (sector 2830)
- After completing the blood room, a hidden door opens in a temple alcove near the yellow switch containing a few enemies, a backpack, and some ammo. (sector 3486)
- Pressing the switch to raise the elevator before the elevator finishes lowering traps the player in the temple sump.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are: