MAP02: The Catacombs (The Abyss)
|The Abyss maps 01-11|
MAP02: The Catacombs is the second level of The Abyss. It was designed by Miklos de Rijk (H2SO4). This level teaches basic concepts of the non-linear, "spelunking" style that will be the majority of later levels, but in a simpler, more linear context.
At the start, grab the chainsaw and take out the demons ahead. Next, grab the shotgun and push the right angled wall in the honeycomb room. it should open to a set of descending stairs. go down these stairs to the catacombs, and use the platform with the dead player resting on it. Climb on the lowered platform and jump across to the other side, and use the wall to open a stone room with a lift. Activate it with the skull switch, ride it to the top, and press the switch next to you before teleporting.
After teleporting, hit the red X areas, the rightmost one first. Get the key from the grotto, and navigate to the next red X tunnel. You should exit the tunnel, beyond the blocking brick wall. Use the marble baron face, run through and hit the switch. Take out the imps and reach the exit switch behind you.
- As you descend into the catacombs to the tomb area, a wall opens, marked by a torch on this wall. (sector 100)
- One of the casket shelves opens a secret wall, containing a computer map. (sector 111)
The unofficial secrets are in areas the player must access to complete the level, and are not listed here.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
This information was last verified in its entirety on January 15, 2018.
This level contains five spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 4)
- facing north-east. (thing 5)
- facing south-west. (thing 6)
- facing west. (thing 7)
- facing south. (thing 123)
- The Red key grotto is tagged as a secret area, even though unsealing the entrance is required to open the baron door.