MAP02: Town (Strife)
|Strife levels (01-06 & 30)|
- 1 Overview
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Speedrunning
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 See also
- 11 Sources
- 12 External links
At the beginning, you are interrogated by acolytes. You must punch your way out. Next, you will meet Rowan who gives you a chance to do a task. He wants you to go to the Sanctuary to kill Beldin who is about to reveal the location of the Front. After doing so, you bring Beldin's ring back as proof and Rowan tells you about the Front and gives you the com link.
In the town, there is a passage to the Sanctuary and a pub where you can talk to the barkeep. If you have gold, you can get additional information from him in exchange for five pieces. There are peasants wandering around the town, too. There is a medical shop along with a weapons and armor shop. Later in the game, you can go to Irale's black market to get an assault rifle and also assemble the flamethrower when you get the pieces. You can go to Norwall prison or Tarnhill power station after a certain point in the game. The Front has planted their base below the broken down city hall. You must go there after killing Beldin. Governor Mourel's mansion is located in the town, too. After meeting up with the Front, you can talk to the governor and he will give you two choices of what to do.
Other points of interest
There are no official secrets on this map.
- When you are about to enter the door to the Governor's office, press the wall section between the two adjacent torches. It opens revealing a passage with some items at the end. There is a box of ammo and, in addition, pieces of gold depending on the skill level: 25 on the two easiest and 100 on the two hardest levels. On medium skill, there are 75 pieces. This is one of the secrets required for the "Completionist" achievement in the 2014 Steam re-release.
- When you stand between the premises of the weapons and armor shops, walk to the north until you are under the open sky. Turn right. A little way off, in contact with the building, there is a wall on which you can jump. It secures an entrance to the backrooms of the armor vendor. Without consequences to speak of, you can go in and snatch the medical supplies, leather armor and 50 pieces of gold. Break a window to leave the house.
When looking toward the south end of the river and the tavern from near the exit from the Sanctuary, a drawsegs overflow can occur, causing either the inside of the tavern or the far wall above the river to become a hall of mirrors effect.
A water bottle (Thing 78) and a multiplayer grenade launcher (Thing 123) have no flags set for any of the three difficulty classes, so they do not actually appear in the level. A teleport destination (Thing 578) does not have skill flags either, but because of special handling in the engine, it functions normally in the level.
Areas / screenshots
Rowan can be met just inside the door near the sewage plant.
Exit out of town into the borderlands.
Governor Mourel in his office.
MacGuffin in his "bum hole."
Irale in his shop.
Routes and tricks
* The item is placed as a shop prop and is not meant to be taken by the player.
Inspiration and development
- Boxed copies of Strife included a paper map of MAP02 as an additional item. A high-resolution scanned version of the same map is offered as bonus content with Strife: Veteran Edition.
- The name "Tarnhill" is made up of hill and "tarn," which means a mountain lake or pool formed by glacial excavation. Such a pool can be seen around the power station, which is at lower elevation than the town.