MAP02: Virgil (PlayStation Final Doom)
|PlayStation Final Doom maps|
Master Levels episode
MAP02: Virgil is the second map of PlayStation Final Doom. It is a console version of VIRGIL.WAD which was originally designed by John Anderson. Changes for the PlayStation port were authored by Tim Heydelaar. It uses the music track "Vexation". Like in the PC version the black star sky is used in this level.
It is known as Virgil's Lead in Master Levels for Doom II.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
In the starting area, pick up the shotgun in front of you, then go down the east staircase and press use on the wall with the baron texture in front of you to reveal a door. Open it and walk through to a marble hall with columns. Climb the stairs and open the door at the north end, then walk through it to an outdoor courtyard. Go straight ahead and open the north door to a room with four staircases and a chaingun. Go west through another door to a hallway, and follow it round to another locked door. When you reach this door, look at the east wall and press use on the section of wall with a cross-shaped brown texture to reveal a switch. Press the switch and go back to the previous room, where a platform holding the yellow skull key has lowered.
After taking the yellow key, leave the room through the east door and follow the hallway round to another door locked with the yellow key. Open this door and you will find a round room with a chainsaw. Press the switch on the east wall, take the computer area map in the south-east corner of the room and leave through the west door to return to the courtyard. Go to the south-west corner and you will see a small door has opened to reveal a teleporter. Step on the teleporter and it will take you to a marble room similar to the starting area. Kill the shotgun guy in front of you and take the blue skull key lying next to the south wall.
Once you have the blue key, go down the west staircase and press use on the wall with the baron texture in front of you to reveal a door. Go through this door to return to the marble hall with columns, then head through the north door to return to the courtyard. Go through the west door (locked with the blue key) to find another round room. Go round to the north side of the room and walk up to the bars which will lower automatically to let you pass. Press any of the switches in the middle of the room to lower the columns, kill the Hell knight and take the red skull key.
Once you pick up the red key, wait for the columns to rise again and you will see that the switch west of you is in the on position. Press it to open the west door out of the room, then any of the other switches to lower the columns and let yourself out. Walk through the west door you just opened to reach a large outdoor area with a blood pool. Follow the walkways around the edge of the pool until you reach a switch, and press it to lower an elevator which will take you to the west side of the room.
The marble face on the west wall is a door locked with the red key - open it and approach the tall green firesticks in front of you, which will cause a switch to rise from the floor. Press this switch to temporarily lower the bars blocking the exit teleporter, then turn around and run to the teleporter to finish the level.
Other points of interest
In the central courtyard, open the door in the south-west corner to reveal a rock tunnel. Opposite a hanging corpse you will see a metal pillar - press use on it to reveal a soulsphere, and open an alcove containing a spectre and imp. This alcove also contains a backpack, megaarmor and one box of rockets.
In the hallway connecting the north and east round rooms, look at the west wall and you will see a section of wall with a cross-shaped brown texture, when reveals a switch when opened. Press this switch and kill the imp which tries to ambush you from your right, collect the megasphere behind it (HMP and UV only) and press another switch. Return to the north room to find that a platform has lowered, holding partial invisibility and a box of ammo.
- In the north-east hallway, north of the round eastern room, open a section of the west wall with a distinctive texture. Press the switch to lower a lift leading to a small closet with an imp and a megasphere. (sector 27) There is also another switch; pressing it will lower a platform in the northern room, holding a box of bullets and partial invisibility.
Comparison of versions
- All switches use a skull switch on metal wall texture (the switch west of the red skull key is in the on position, to identify it as the switch which opens the door to the exit area).
- Two protruding walls are removed from the north and south walls of the exit area.
- A slightly different texture is used for the bars around the exit teleporter, and on the teleporter itself.
- One zombieman in the room east of the starting area is replaced with an imp. All other zombiemen are removed without replacement.
- A Hell knight is added to the central courtyard on UV.
- A revenant guarding the exit from the blue skull key room on HMP/UV is removed without replacement. A shotgun guy is added in the south-east corner of the room on all skill levels.
- The lost souls revealed after taking the soulsphere in the east area of the level on HMP/UV are removed without replacement.
- The spectre in the eastern room containing the chainsaw on HMP/UV is replaced with a nightmare spectre.
- The pain elemental in the yellow skull key room on HMP/UV is removed without replacement.
- The revenant which should teleport into the north-western corridor on HMP/UV is removed without replacement.
- The arch-vile guarding the red skull key on HMP/UV is replaced with a Hell knight.
- The mancubi overlooking the blood pool area are replaced with chaingunners, which appear on all skill levels.
- The pain elemental in the blood pool area on HMP/UV is replaced with three lost souls on HMP/UV and two on IAAW/NTR.
- The revenant protecting the switch which lowers the bars around the exit teleporter is replaced with a Hell knight. The barons of Hell in the same area are replaced with four chaingunners on UV, three on HMP and two on IAAW/NTR.
Areas / screenshots
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 57)
- facing west. (thing 58)
- facing east. (thing 59)
- facing west. (thing 60)