MAP03: Avernus (The Abyss)
|The Abyss maps 01-11|
MAP03: Avernus is the third level of The Abyss. It was designed by Miklos de Rijk (H2SO4), and uses Heretic window textures. It is a marble temple similar to an ancient Roman avernus, or the Ploutonion at Hierapolis. The noxious red liquid surrounding the temple is poisonous water that damages the player.
This level is completely non-linear, and the temple's two keys may be obtained in any order, but most players will collect the blue key first.
Grab the temple's two skull keys, raise the pillars, and make it to the exit. Each key triggers a trap when collected.
The first key to obtain is the blue skull key, guarded by imps, a Hell knight, and an arachnotron on higher skill levels. There is a special room dedicated to this key that is quite easy to find. The second key is located outside, on a pillar that must be lowered. It is also obtainable when hitting the switch in the blue skull key room.
The last quest is to lower the pillars blocking the exit. The switch to lower them is well hidden, and a cacodemon guards the switch at higher skill levels.
Other points of interest
- The courtyard contains a few powerups in the wall, as well as hidden monsters.
- The two sheds outside contain monsters and a backpack in coop.
- There are alternate routes to almost every room except the courtyard.
- At the start, move towards the north wall, then turn left and press on the wall behind the torch to find shotgun shells, an ammo clip, and a stimpack. (sector 123)
- At the start, move towards the north wall, then turn right and press on the wall behind the torch to find a chaingunner guarding shotgun shells as well as an armor bonus (not on Hey, Not Too Rough or lower). (sector 176)
- From the start, open the north wall. The room that follows with numerous marble walls and stairs has a total of six secret rooms inside the square columns. Head down the steps going north and turn northeast, pressing on the misaligned wall at the middle right square column to find partial invisibility, a chainsaw, an imp, and a medikit (not on Hey, Not Too Rough or lower). (sector 131)
- Just opposite of Secret #3, press on the misaligned wall at the southeast square column to find a shotgun guy, shotgun shells, and a medikit (none of these will be present inside the room on Hey, Not Too Rough or lower, and only the shotgun guy is present on Hurt Me Plenty). (sector 132)
- The southwest square column can be reached from the northeast end. This column contains an imp, two health bonuses, and a green armor (only present on Ultra-Violence or higher). (sector 134)
- The northwest square column can be reached from the northeast end. It holds a variable number of stimpacks and zombiemen depending on your skill setting. (sector 137)
- The northeast square column can be reached from the southeast end. Inside you can find a variable number of zombiemen depending on your skill setting, as well as shotgun shells (only on Ultra-Violence or higher). (sector 138)
- The middle left column can be opened from the southeast side. Inside is a chaingunner guarding a stimpack and a box of shotgun shells. (sector 129)
- From the start, press on the faceted wall to the left to open it, then press on the west wall dead ahead to reach the balcony area where the blue key is. Stay on the ledge and press on the marble wall at the southeast end to find a health bonus. (sector 234)
- From Secret #9, open the west wall and continue west, opening the next marble wall to get an armor bonus. (sector 205)
- Again, continue west by pressing the west wall in Secret #10, then press on the wall with the "X" on it for a secret passage outside. Note that to trigger this secret, you need to stand on it as it rises up. (sector 243)
- From Secret #11, keep going along the balcony at the blue key area by going north, then east. The next marble wall you open will have an imp inside. (sector 158)
- From Secret #12, open the next marble wall east, then another one to the east as well. Without changing direction, press on the next marble wall directly east from there, and another wall east from there as well. You will get the super shotgun. An alternate route to reach this secret is from Secret #9. Go along the right ledge of the blue key area and press on the north wall to open it. Then press on the wall directly to your left to reach the super shotgun. The lift you see on this path leads into the room with stairs and marble columns. (sector 255)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
This information was last verified in its entirety on January 15, 2018.
Most action will take place in the key room or the stairs room. On source ports with 3D height checking, it may be possible to "jump over" players and take them by surprise from behind.
This level contains seven spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 4)
- facing north. (thing 5)
- facing north. (thing 6)
- facing north. (thing 46)
- facing west. (thing 305)
- facing west. (thing 311)
- facing west. (thing 326)
- The courtyard seems to be in an unfinished state, but it is populated in multiplayer.