MAP03: Canyon (PlayStation Final Doom)
|PlayStation Final Doom maps|
Master Levels episode
MAP03: Canyon is the third map of PlayStation Final Doom, and the third map of the Master Levels episode. It is based on the PC version of MAP01: Canyon from the Master Levels for Doom II, with modifications to accommodate the PlayStation's framerate and storage capacity limitations and add enhancements such as colored lighting. It uses the music track "Infectious".
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
You start inside a column; press the switch in front of you to raise the floor so you can get out. Once you are out of the column, use the lift in front of you to get to the upper floor and go south through the doorway in the south wall. Go through the window in front of you and make your way down to the red keycard on the bridge.
Once you have the key, go west into the next room then turn left and follow the corridor to a red door. Go through it and head north-west to a lift; take the lift up to the top floor to find the blue keycard on a raised platform.
Step on the lift again and step off onto the western walkway. Follow this walkway north and east through another red door, then immediately go north through a blue door to a large outdoor area. Use the lift in the south-west corner of this area to get into a brick room, then climb two staircases and go through another door into a marble room.
Go north through the marble rooms until you come to a lift, use it to climb up to the next floor and go east through some hallways until you reach a door. Go through this door and up a staircase, which leads to an outdoor area sealed with metal columns. Step on the white teleporter pad in this area and collect the yellow keycard in front of you, then step back on the teleporter and go through the yellow exit door in front of you. Press the switch behind this door to finish the level.
Other points of interest
- When you approach the southern-most blue door, an alcove containing imps will open in the south-east of the map, east of the room containing the red keycard. Head to that location, and press on the west wall of the alcove to find a backpack. (sector 143)
- When you approach the nukage "fountain" in the marble room at the north end of the map, some alcoves containing enemies will open, including one at the bottom of the staircase in the brick area to the south. Backtrack to this location and open the rear wall of the alcove to find a megasphere. (sector 177)
- As you climb the stairs into the hallway leading to the exit door, an alcove containing imps will open to the west in the previous room. Push on the rear wall of the alcove to find a heavy weapon dude on Ultra Violence skill level, or a partial invisibility powerup on Hurt Me Plenty or lower. (sector 40)
- In the room with the exit switch, press on the middle of the north wall to find a super shotgun and a medikit. (sector 115)
Comparison of versions
Numerous changes were made to this level compared with the PC version.
- In single-player and cooperative modes, all players start the level by pressing a switch to rise from a column. As PlayStation Doom only supports two players, only two of these columns are present as opposed to four in the PC version of the level.
- Several changes were made to the brick rooms west of the bridge with the red keycard.
- The four tall red firesticks were removed from the lower room. Four tall red firesticks, four pools of blood and a red pillar with skull were removed from the upper room.
- The ledges at the top of the staircase connecting these rooms have two tall red firesticks on each ledge instead of one.
- The imp that was standing on one of the ledges is moved a few paces west.
- There are two barrels on the upper floor of the upper room instead of three.
- The two red rock pits near the center of the map are changed to nukage, and have been made shallower to reduce the height of the room. Part of the bridge over these pits has been changed to a lift, allowing players to escape from the pits if they fall in.
- The height of the south-west room (with the blue keycard) has been reduced.
- The brick walls in the south-west room are changed to ash walls, along with the raised platform on the south side of this room.
- The height of the outdoor area with nukage past the blue doors has been signficantly reduced.
- There is less gore around the chaingun pickup north of secret #2. A tall red firestick is added in the corner of the room next to the chaingun.
- The height of the marble room in the north-west corner of the map (with a lift) is reduced. As a consequence, the marble textures on the lift are changed to metal textures.
- The tall techno pillars around the teleporter next to the yellow keycard are removed.
- The exit switch uses a red/green light on metal wall texture (SW1MET2), matching other switches in the level.
- Shotgun guys are replaced with zombiemen.
- An imp and two lost souls that should appear in the red keycard room on HMP/UV are removed. A cacodemon is added next to the keycard on all skill levels.
- The lost souls in the small pit area near the center of the map are replaced with two cacodemons on Hurt Me Plenty or Ultra-Violence skill levels (HMP/UV), or one on I am a Wimp/Not Too Rough (IAAW/NTR).
- The level's only revenant, found on the raised platform in the south-west corner of the map (near the blue keycard) is replaced with a Hell knight.
- The level's only pain elemental, found at the north end of the outdoor area with nukage, is replaced with two cacodemons.
- The only two mancubi in the level, found in the marble hallways in the north-west corner of the map, are replaced with three cacodemons on UV, or two on IAAW/NTR/HMP.
Areas / screenshots
This level contains seven spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 0)
- facing west. (thing 40)
- facing south. (thing 41)
- facing west. (thing 42)
- facing west. (thing 43)
- facing north. (thing 44)
- facing south-east. (thing 45)