MAP03: Canyon of the Dead (No Rest for the Living)
|No Rest for the Living maps|
MAP03: Canyon of the Dead is the third map of No Rest for the Living. It was designed by Russell Meakim and uses the music track "DOOM". The par time is 2:00.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Flip the switch to the right, go through the hall and flip the first switch from the other side. Backtrack to the first hall and take the blue key from the monster closet.
Backtrack through the halls again and open one of the blue doors. The faster way to get through the map is by going through the left blue door, open it up, walk along the cave and turn left. Go through the furthermost nukage river and take the yellow skull on top of the marble ruin.
Open the yellow door in front of the key after you take it and push the switch behind it. A bridge will rise, jump down and go through the bridge. Open the wooden entrance to the ruins and go upstairs until you get to the green armor, wait until the floor fully lowers down and reveals the exit door, open it up and push the switch behind it.
Other points of interest
- After collecting the blue keycard, backtrack to the room with two blue doors. Take the northern door, and follow the hill upwards. Before it takes its final bend to the right, open the left wall for two imps (one on easy skill levels), a computer map and six health bonuses (sector 448).
- Return to the room with two blue doors. Take the eastern door, and move directly ahead until you come to a wall behind a box of bullets. Open it, the room behind counts as a secret (sector 444). Ascend the stairs and walk along the cliff overlooking the main route through the map. Drop onto the lower cliff to find a soul sphere and four armor bonuses.
- From the yellow skull key go west and drop down on the cliff with some imps and five armor bonuses on it. Open the wall behind the middle armor bonus for a berserk pack and yet eight more armor bonuses (sector 468).
- Right after opening the yellow door and using the switch behind it to raise the bridge, run northwards over the nukage to the rocket launcher platform (in the northeast of the red pillar where the yellow skull key was on). From the platform's eastern edge look to the south, where you see a nukage pit with a red triangle in its southeast that is in fact a teleporter. Use it (or the other teleporter in the northwest of the nukage pit east of the bridge) to get to an otherwise unreachable cave (sector 76) with an imp, eight health bonuses and a switch.
- Use the switch in secret #4 and to raise some stairs. Drop down to the ground and climb on the platform south of the bridge. Stop before crossing it. Turn to the west, and you will see two mounds increasing in size; beyond it, a gap and a series of stone steps on the other side you raised before by using the switch. Take a running jump, ascend the steps to the top (sector 374) and enter the nukage cave to find the megaarmor.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV max||2:53.26||Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)||2022-02-16||nr03-253.zip|
|NM 100S||1:54.20||Jean-Charles Dorne (JCD)||2021-11-28||nr3ns154.zip|
|UV -fast||3:07.26||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2022-03-18||nerve03f307.zip||Plays back with nervenew.wad|
|UV -respawn||2:52.86||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2015-11-18||nr03r252.zip|
|UV Tyson||19:56.80||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2015-01-09||nr03t1956.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on August 5, 2022.
This level contains thirteen spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 114)
- facing south-east. (thing 492)
- facing north-east. (thing 493)
- facing north-east. (thing 494)
- facing north-west. (thing 495)
- facing west. (thing 496)
- facing north-east. (thing 497)
- facing south. (thing 498)
- facing north. (thing 499)
- facing north-east. (thing 500)
- facing south. (thing 501)
- facing south-west. (thing 502)
- facing south-west. (thing 503)
This level contains the following numbers of things per skill level: