MAP03: Power Control (TNT: Evilution)
|TNT: Evilution maps 01-11|
MAP03: Power Control is the third map of TNT: Evilution. It was designed mostly by Robin Patenall, with one fifth of the level designed by John Minadeo, and uses the music track "Message For The Archvile" from Doom II.
Open the door, and go around to the northern switch. Press it to reveal a teleporter; use it, and open the next door. Open the north-east door, climb up any of the staircases, and take the teleporters at either location. Grab the red keycard, go into either the northern-most teleporter in the north-west, or the eastern-most one in the north-east, and go down the stairs to the red door north of the nexus. Open it and go through the north-east door. Flip the nearby switch to raise a bridge, and cross it to get to the yellow keycard. Go back to the nexus and make your way to the yellow door in the east. Rush in, grab the blue keycard, and head to the blue door south of the nexus. Open it, go through the door at the south of the next room, and hit the switch.
- In the room where you find the first berserk pack, open the wall with blue triangles to find a secret teleporter that leads to the center of the blue key room. Take the teleporter in there to return and trigger this secret. (sector 228)
- Take the teleporter south-west of the central yard, step off, and re-enter the teleporter you came on to return. After this, open the misaligned wall to the south to find an energy cell pack. (sector 230) There are also health items that vary depending on the skill level: a megasphere on easy skill levels, two medikits on medium, or one medikit on hard.
- After opening the red door, go through the north-west door, and then open the wall with blue triangles on it to find a box of shotgun shells and a rocket launcher. (sector 278)
The teleporter into the tower at the north-west of the central yard, as well as the teleporter in the pit within the yellow key room, will leave you facing the wall. This is because the teleport destination things (things 7 and 34, respectively) have an angle of 0, which will make them face east, and is the default angle at which things are placed in many level editors. Presumably, whichever one of the two authors placed the things did not remember to change their angles after placing them; the destination things within the rest of the towers in the central yard have their angles set properly (facing outward from the teleport pads).
There are many misaligned textures in this level resulting from the authors neglecting to set the X offsets of certain linedefs after splitting them with beams of light. These include the northern side of the second door's western frames, after using the first teleporter (linedefs 917 and 1291); the southern side of the western frames of the door into the room with the berserk pack (linedefs 897 and 1310); the west side of the western door into the central yard (linedefs 848 and 1306); the northern, yellow-locked side of the red-locked door at the north of the level (linedefs 854 and 1324); the east side of the northern frames of the door into the room with secret #3 (linedefs 1146 and 1327); and the walls at either corner of the room where the yellow key is found (linedefs 1107, 1112, 1133, 1139, 1341, 1348, 1354, and 1364).
An area of the map only accessible in cooperative play contains a plasma gun not marked as multiplayer only. Since weapon pick ups do not count toward the item tally on the intermission, this does not prevent players getting 100% items.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV speed||00:55||Vincent Catalaá (Peroxyd)||2001-01-10||ev03-055.zip|
|NM speed||01:18||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-09-09||tn03-118.zip|
|UV max||02:36||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2005-02-04||ev03-236.zip|
|NM100S||02:05||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-09-08||es03-205.zip|
|UV -fast||03:48||Justin Baliao (tinotormed)||2017-05-13||ef03-348.zip|
|UV -respawn||02:56||Radek Pecka||2003-02-26||er03-256.zip|
|UV pacifist||01:41||Drew DeVore (stx-Vile)||2003-05-11||ep03-141.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 5, 2020.
This level contains eight spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 16)
- facing north-east. (thing 17)
- facing north-west. (thing 18)
- facing south-west. (thing 19)
- facing south-east. (thing 20)
- facing south. (thing 21)
- facing north. (thing 22)
- facing east. (thing 23)