MAP03: Swim With The Whales (Swim With The Whales)
|Swim With The Whales maps|
This level occupies the map slot MAP03. For other maps which occupy this slot, see Category:MAP03.
|This article about a map is a stub. Please help the Doom Wiki by adding to it.|
MAP03: Swim With The Whales is the third and final map of Swim With The Whales. It was designed by Zachary Stephens (Ribbiks) and uses the music track "Water World," from Donkey Kong Country 3.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
Letters in italics refer to marked spots on the map. Sector, thing, and linedef numbers in boldface are secrets which count toward the end-of-level tally.
Other points of interest
- Drop northwest from the light blue key platform to find energy cells. (sector 163)
- When you get the black key (see Secret #12), head into the damaging liquid on the right side of the main area and go towards the southwest teleporter. From there, go a bit north and west to spot a black bar, which hides a switch. After using it, return to the southwest teleporter and enter it to reach the secret, where you can get an invulnerability. (sector 542)
- In the central room of the main area, press the skull switch in the southeast corner to lower the western platform if you have not done so already. A small switch is just north of the platform, which lowers a lift near the dropoff. Take it up and use the next lift to go up. Jump into the damaging liquid below and to the east is a soul sphere. (sector 560)
- Take the lift out of the water at the start and go west. When you see the soul sphere, look southeast and gently drop down, then go west and into the cave to get energy cells and either a radiation suit (Hurt Me Plenty or lower) or a backpack (Ultra-Violence or higher). (sector 646)
- In the central room of the main area, press the skull switch in the southeast corner to lower the western platform if you have not done so already. A small switch is just north of the platform, which lowers a lift near the dropoff. Take it up and use the next lift to go up. Jump to the rocket launcher platform, then jump northwest to get rockets and energy cells. (sector 867)
- At the eastern water area near the start, make a jump from the gray rock at the northwest end to the northwest comma-shaped rock ahead. When you make it, go along the rocks to the east, then drop down and go south to get a rocket launcher and rockets. (sector 1103)
- Make sure you have the black key (see Secret #12), then head all the way to the northern teleporter that leads to the final area. Go all the way behind it for a black skull switch, which will open up two compartments containing a soul sphere and a megaarmor. Both compartments count as one secret. (sector 1120)
- In the caverns at the southern end of the main area, head into the damaging liquid and go southwest as much as you can to spot a button. Push it to open the nearby wall which has a revenant (two on Ultra-Violence or higher) and a berserk pack. (sector 1926)
- Enter the caverns at the south end of the main area and head north to the right of the central part of the main area. When you cross the damaging pool, the brick wall ahead lowers. Return to the cavern by going straight south and you should find a new section of the cave open directly to the south. If you press on the outer wall here, you will find you will need the light blue key to open it. After getting the key, return here and open the wall to find boxes of shotgun shells and armor bonuses in a cave. Go up the steps to the east to find a BFG9000. (sector 1991)
- Collect the BFG9000 in Secret #9 to lower a pillar to the north which blocked off a switch. The switch opens the nearby teleporter, which takes you to a separate area with a soul sphere and ammo. (sector 2183)
- In the far northeast part of the map northeast of the dark blue key, use the switch to raise the lift if necessary, then take it back up. Now angle yourself to jump onto the blue ledge below on the right side, then when you make it, drop down to the teleporter you see to the southwest. This will take you to a soul sphere. (sector 2407)
- In the central room of the main area, press the skull switch in the southeast corner to lower the western platform if you have not done so already. A small switch is just north of the platform, which lowers a lift near the dropoff. Take it up and use the next lift to go up. Jump to the rocket launcher platform, then jump to the west onto a high rock, where a chaingunner will be in a nearby alcove (only on Hurt Me Plenty or higher). From here, make a jump to the west to land on the curved blue rocks, then climb them up. Hop into the water and enter the teleporter, which will take you to the secret area containing the black key. (sector 2435)
- At the northwest corner of the main area with the square arena, press on the darker section of wall to lower it, then ride it up. Walk east and at the end, drop to the north and use the teleporter. You will end up in a geometric area with several monsters and supplies (Note: the four health bonuses up on the ledges are inaccessible unless you utilize arch-vile jumps to reach them, which is not possible on Hey, Not Too Rough or lower). (sector 2436)
Two imps (Things 1486 and 1487) in the southeast have no flags set for any of the three difficulty classes, so they do not actually appear in the level. They are at the same spots as two chaingun guys on skills 4-5, so probably were intended to appear on skills 1-3.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The data was last verified in its entirety on December 5, 2021.
This level contains the following numbers of things per skill level: